« Man killed in fight | Main | Willmar classroom to use balls instead of chairs »

Corrections

I don't have an article to link for this blog but I thought that this correction posted on the Star Tribune's website (http://www.startribune.com/corrections/story/1347638.html) Monday was interesting. The correction states that a graphic that ran in Sunday's paper inaccurately listed two bridges on Highway 52 as being among Minnesota's worst bridges. Both of those bridges have been replaced since the data was collected in 2001. I think that this is a good example of how and why many errors make it into the newspaper. In the wake of a huge news even such as the I35-W bridge collapse, it is easy to cut corners to get the story out quickly. The public's demand for knowledge pushes reporters to work fast and get out all the information they can. Many times, especially in a chaotic situation like the bridge collapse, facts are not double checked. Sometimes, the reporter is not to blame for this because they were given information that was thought to be correct at the time. However, this correction is an example of the more likely scenario, when the reporter is to blame for the situation. Since the data used for the graphic was six years old, it should have been double checked to make sure that the accuracy of the information was still strong.