« Blog #7: Layout Ideas | Main

Class Presentations 2

The presentation regarding sanitation in Inda (I believe) was very interesting to me. I didn't realize that there were archtiects working towards cleaning up these issues there. What struck me as being the most interesting aspect of this project was the affect of the levels of community involvement. I understood that the communities that took an active part in building their own toilets and played an active role, were the ones that stayed the cleanest and were more 'successful' than the communities that were forced to work on building the toilets.

This can be related back to the imortance of culture and community in architecture and design. WIthout the public, users, and community seeing the importance in and can relate to a design, it is essentially worthless - no matter how much of a benefit can come from it. As designers it is our role to design for the user and also show the user the importance of something, relative to them and their beliefs. This is not an easy idea to implement, and people may not always be accepting of things. As long as the user is the center of design, and designers are sensitive to the variables within the users, design is powerful.