Race/Diversity

The article that I'm using for this weeks analysis entry comes from CNN. The article is about an Ohio state trooper who was photographed wearing the costume or uniform of a Ku Klux Klan member, although the trooper was not a member of the KKK and claimed that it was a joke, he was still suspended without pay.

What is interesting about the article is it exposes different attitudes about race. Where as one group of people may see the KKK as a joke and feel it is alright to dress up as for ironic purposes, others may find nothing funny about it at all. The fact that this was a state official, who was wearing his uniform despite the hooded mask, makes it an even more complex issue. An issue that races the fairness of our law enforcement officials.

Continue reading "Race/Diversity" »

Obituary

The obituary that I will be looking at is the New York Times obituary on Nith Pran, a photojournalist.

The obituary clearly follows the guidelines of a common obituary. The first paragraph states the persons name as well as their age and what they are best known for. The second paragraph promptly follows up with the cause of death, in this case pancreatic cancer (which is properly attributed and sourced to his friend.)

The piece also features the claim to fame. It goes rather in depth into what he did in life and how he achieved it. Following this section it provides a chronology of Pran's life.

The end of the article focuses mainly on his family life, which is common in most obituaries.

Continue reading "Obituary" »

Advance

The advance article I'll be analyzing is an advance of the upcoming Batman movie "The Dark Knight." The article I believe is an advance but it also feels like a feature.

The main angle of the story is the the emotion that has gone into the production including the death of one of the main stars of the film.

The writer interweaves what is going on set and uses it as a sort of allegory for the the emotional state of the cast and crew. This is an incredibly in-depth article as many of the sources are the director as well as the cast itself. Sources that only someone like the New York Times could get.

Continue reading "Advance" »

Structure

The article this week I chose to analyze, in terms of structure, is on the recent illegal road race crash. The reason I chose this article is because earlier in the week I had written a blog entry on it and afterwards more information surfaced. I found it intriguing how much my blog was off, based on the initial information I received. Since then one person who was injured died from their injuries and we learned that the main vehicle involved in the incident wasn't actually involved in the illegal race.

In the latest article by the New York Times it leads off with a strong lead, informing the reader how many were killed and when it happened, and of course what was the general cause. After writing about the specifics, how the situation occurred, about half way into the article it states that no charges had been filed. This illustrates that the main story is the crash and the victims and not whether or not the driver had committed any crime.

Continue reading "Structure" »

Attribution

For this weeks analysis on attribution I'll be looking at an article in the Star Tribune which covered the arctic like weather that the area is experiencing and mainly how the weather can effect someones commute.

The article features several direct quotes, the first being from a Clay County Deputy Sheriff, the deputy warns readers to look ahead in the forecast. He is a credible source as he's obviously one of the first responders when motorists can stranded on the highways.

A quote from a spokesperson from the Minnesota Department of Transportation is also featured in the article. This quote is interestingly used as a segue into further details of how MNDOT is reacting to the dangerous weather conditions.

It seems that MNDOT as well as the sheriffs department were the two sources used most throughout the article, and were in fact the most effective in getting across the writers serious tone on the issue.

Continue reading "Attribution" »

Leads

The lead that I'll be analyzing was posted in an article titled "Progress Toward Ending Writers' Strike" on the New York Times' website on February 2nd. It reads as follows.

"LOS ANGELES — Informal talks between representatives of Hollywood’s striking writers and production companies have eliminated the major roadblocks to a new contract, which could lead to a tentative agreement as early as next week, according to people who were briefed on the situation but requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak."

This lead exemplifies all the elements of a typical hard news story lead. As with most new leads the most important element is the WHAT, in this case the WHATis that progress has been made by eliminating "roadblocks" that have kept both sides of the writers strike from reaching a deal. The WHO, which is the second most important part of the story is one of the first things the reader discovers, striking writers and production companies.

However, one could argue that given the prominence of the writers strike that the WHO in this news lead is actually more important or of equal importance as the WHAT in the story.

Continue reading "Leads" »