« Disorienting dilemma and public value | Main | Extension, Show me the money! Or not. »

Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap

One of the ways Extension and other outreach programs can build public value is by providing information that allows consumers and business owners to make better choices. In other words, Extension programs help to close the "information gap" that prevents people from doing the best they can for themselves and their businesses.

information3.JPG
In the "Building Extension's Public Value" workshop, I caution participants about over-using the information gap as an argument for Extension program funding. All of our programs provide information, but if we try to use a single argument to justify all of our programs, we are unlikely to be successful. I suggest that we reserve the information gap argument for cases where it is likely to be strongest. Which cases are those? I think that when you can answer "yes" to at least some of the following questions, you can make a strong case with the information gap.

information1.JPG

information2.JPG
Take a look at the fifth question on the list, providing information to people who would not otherwise have access. The variety of ways that Extension programs address access includes providing information at low or no cost, bring programs to geographically isolated areas, giving people materials written in their native language, and delivering information in ways other than through written materials.

At a recent BEPV workshop for the University of Hawaii Cooperative Extension Service, a participant suggested that cultural norms could also create a barrier to accessing and using Extension's information. For example, traditional gender or generational roles might prevent some members of a community from participating in a program. When we identify and address such barriers--indeed, when we allow cultural differences to inform and enrich our programs--we can be more successful in closing the information gap and building public value.

hi_plate.JPG

Incidentally, it is not at all surprising that the suggestion to consider cultural norms arose at the Hawaii workshop. Culture is deeply valued by the residents of the 50th state, which has the highest ethnic minority population in the nation. Mahalo, Hawaii, for reminding us to consider both cultural barriers and cultural contributions to Extension programs.

We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with valuable information to work on. You've done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

As a Newbie, I am constantly searching online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap
imtzkvcsnq http://www.gzunoty55u5hu9x75t936im38k19e638s.org/
[url=http://www.gzunoty55u5hu9x75t936im38k19e638s.org/]uimtzkvcsnq[/url]
aimtzkvcsnq

I am so grateful for your article post.Really thank you! Much obliged.
impalinator

certainly like your website but you have to check the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very troublesome to tell the truth however I will certainly come back again.

These particular cheap wow gold work best footbring i actually have bought within a period of time consequently nice and elegant i have simply got my very own Last pair and that i nonetheless plan to spend money on a lot more appreciate these people.

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap superior singing method download Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap

Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap how to sing Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap

Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap superior singing method Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap Building Extension's Public Value: Using cultural diversity to narrow an information gap

Thank you, I have recently been searching for information approximately this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon so far. But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the supply?|What i do not understood is in truth how you’re no longer actually much more neatly-liked than you might be right now. You are so intelligent.
jzylaokou.com

hey there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical points using this site, as I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

A wedding consists of many details that must be carefully carried out. This article contains some helpful advice about planning your wedding without losing your mind in the process. It's easier than you may think!
Borse Louis Vuitton Outlet