30.06.09

100 Essential Books of Planning

Finally a reading list! I mean, another reading list:
http://www.planning.org/centennial/greatbooks/

22.07.08

The Option of Urbanism: Investing in a New American Dream

Leinberger, Christopher. The Option of Urbanism: Investing in a New American Dream. Washington, DC: Island Press, 2008.

The main point of this book is the idea that we currently are in a social and economic position in the history of the US to choose between developing walkable urban space or drivable sub-urban (he always hyphenates this word) space or some combination of these two extremes. He explains how drivable sub-urban real estate was turned into a commodity that could be traded on the stock exchange. This commoditization explains the uniformity of every suburban streetscape in the country. There are 19 standard drivable sub-urban products that are recognized as commodities that can be bought and sold on the NYSE. That seems hard for me to believe that the explanation is so simple.

18.07.08

Urban planning reading list from U of Mich

I will be keeping track of the ones that I have read or checked out from the library in this entry

Continue reading "Urban planning reading list from U of Mich" »

8.08.07

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond

I checked this book out from the Saint Paul Public Library. It was among the first books that I had ever checked out from there. It was severely overdue when the 35W bridge collapsed. I really want to finish it.

Diamond set up the book explaining the algorithm for examining civilizations. I was surprised by his addition of a familiar modern society, the ranch communities of the Bitterroot Valley. My good friend lived there for years raising horses and a basset hound and her daughters.