« week 11 | Main

april 10

this course directly relates to my site. i have discovered through st. anne's what it is to serve. i believe that it is an offer and recieve deal. i will retract my previous statement in my first essay that says it's possible to serve with a complete feeling of selflessness. either way, you get the rush that is offering a hand and someone there to recieve it. at st. anne's there are many hands to help, not all hands that are greatful of your servitude. i enjoy working with the people at st. anne's but there has been times when i feel i've wasted time there. there are mothers that have no intention to get themselves and their children out of homlessness, which makes me feel like my time there is useless. but you have to have hope that something will snap in them that makes them want to get out there and do something, and hopefully i will be a witness to that change. that's mostly what ties in from my site to this class. change. watching change, being a part of change. positive evolution of a city and it's condition. cleaning things up while keeping the culture.

It is nice to hear that someone is actually enjoying their time spent with their organizations. I too often feel like my time is useless at the site I chose to volunteer with.

It seems like you have put a lot of thought into your service and I think that is awesome. It's great that you have been able to find the connection between your first paper and your service experience. I have found similarities too. Have you been able to find reasons for the mother's poverty that Hilfiker highlighted? I suppose you have as you have done a lot of thinking.

I completely agree with what youre saying here. I know how it is at St. Anne's and your look on service and lending a hand that is not always wanted is true but we have to think that somehow they appreciate it. I like how you made a connection with change because it is different than what many might have come to mind first.