My Place

The place where I go is everywhere. The felling of falling in on myself and zoning the rest of the world out so that I can let my mind wander about the things that are in my head.

This lace cames and goes as it pleases. I may be deep in an intellectual conversation and start to deviate into my own space thinking about the things just said.

To some this place may be called a daydream, but not to me. This is a place where i can reflect and look at all of my problems or my life and see where I want to go or what I want to do. But if i were to use any word to describe where I go, then I guess it would have to be daydream. Nobody can take that place away from me.

Global Warming

The articles that were assigned to us this week were interesting to say the least. We saw the viewpoints from both sides of the argument. We had McKibben's: “Crossing the Red Line�, Lindzen's: “Global Warming�, and Oreskes: “Undeniable Global Warming�. All of these articles have a similar topic, global warming. Lindzen states that it is all blown out of proportion, while the other two, Mckibben and Oreskes, say that human contributions to the "greenhouse gases" is a major contributor to the increase in the global temperature.

I personally believe that the way you should look at this is all up to you. Nobody can make up your mind and tell you what to think. Therefore, it is my opinion that global warming does exist, but rather is happening due to natural causes and not in large part due to human interaction and burning of fuels and such. Lindzen goes about stating in his article:

Not only are there major reasons to believe that models are exaggerating the response to increasing carbon dioxide, but, perhaps even more significantly, the models' predictions for the past century incorrectly describe the pattern of warming and greatly overestimate its magnitude. The global average temperature record for the past century or so is irregular and not without problems. It does, however, show an average increase in temperature of about .45 degree centigrade plus or minus .15 degree centigrade with most of the increase occurring before 1940, followed by some cooling through the early 1970s and a rapid (but modest) temperature increase in the late 1970s. As noted, we have already seen an increase in "equivalent'' carbon dioxide of 50 percent.

This information to me means that the increase in global temperature is not caused by human interaction, but rather we are still working our way out of the last ice age and the earth is still warming back up, be it steadily or drastically. I will say that humans may have helped in the increase, but the general increase in the temperature would have happened naturally anyways.

This is a picture of the temperatures of the earth for the past few ice ages. Do you see a trend?

Here is the site for the EPA.

Nature Man

Ok, so the guy in the video is a nut, let me just throw that out there. I dont think that he has all of his screws tight in his head. Yeah he is trying to save a species by living with them, but one man living in the woods by himself does no good against all the the hunters and government that controls the national parks and wildlife.

With that out of the way, lets get to the matter of viewing Grizzly Man . The whole concept of a man traveling hundreds of miles with a video camera to tape and live with wild animals is absurd. The fact that he was alone most of the time was even more strange. Yes he thought that he was a bear and was a "kind warrior", but he was still human and subject to all of the same limitations of everybody else.

I will admit that he did accomplish many things. he touched the hearts of many school children and didnt take a penny for his solicitation. I believe that he came the closest that a person will ever come to living with nature. He did have many of the necessities plus extras like a tent and other supplies. He captured nature in its truest form. Like the narrator stated in the film, when the film is left running while the shot is being set up, nature is being filmed at its most beautiful points when Tim is out of camera view.

So i guess i am trying to say that it is possible to go out and find your little niche in nature. tim did, but look where he ended up, in a bear. I dont think that you have to go as far as to live with grizzly bears to get the same impact on your life that tim had. If you feel good about yourself for picking up even one piece of trash on the ground, well good for you. I feel good about picking up trash every now and again, and it helps the environment, its a win win situation for me.

http://www.nature.com/index.html

Environmentalism: Science or Religion

With all of the selected readings that we have had over the past week, there were two main points that were derived out of them.
A) Environmentalism is/based on religion

B) Environmentalism is/should be based on facts

I know that there are many people who would like to save the environment. Thats all good and all, but thats not the way that i see humans treating the environment. The environment is something that needs to be studied and observed, not used as a way for people to rely on to help solve their issues that they cant deal with themselves. That to me is why i can never truly believe in environmentalism as a religion

The religious aspect of environmentalism is like a glove. It only fits if you put it on the right hand. With that analogy said, you would have to be the right kind of person to actually take something away from the religious aspects of environmentalism. With the "tree huggers" of the world saying that we need to save the environment because it is alive is true, to an extent. The environment is alive, but it does not have free will to get up and move about as we do, with a purpose.

Science can explain many things in the world. It can explain why we travel around the sun, why an apple doesn't fall into the sky, and why the environment is the way it is. There are many instruments that can detect the slightest imbalance due to CO2 or temperature in certain parts of the world. What makes you think that science can't explain why things happen in nature. We are able to find links to the past through archaeologically excavations that try to preserve the environment to explain what it was like and how we can save it through scientific means.

a link to climatecrisis.net

Environment: Religious or not?

With nature and religion so intertwined with some people, it is hard to imagine that there are people out there who don’t have the same viewpoint. I am one of those people. I don’t take it as far as saying that nature can’t exist without religion, but I don’t think that there is absolute proof to point to religion being directly related to nature.

With all of the environmentalists running around these days, it is hard for me to get a good hold on what I should believe about the environment. I was raised in a family that doesn’t go to church, but has a deep respect for nature because it provides freedom from everyday life. Don’t get me wrong, I am no tree hugger who is going to go live in a tree to stop a guy from cutting it down. That’s just unreasonable. But I do admit that there are many things wrong with the way that the environment is handled by all walks of life.

Humans have roamed the earth far shorter than most other animals. Humans have used nature from the beginning, as godlike figures, so I guess early humans were the first forms of environmentalists, protecting and harboring what was best for their surroundings. But as humans adapted to new surroundings, they used their surroundings to make new advancements, be it cutting down a forest, or killing animals for food.

Now with all of the technical advances it is hard to tell what the right thing to do with the environment is. There are several groups dedicated to this exact task, none of which have come up with a solution that would appease all the religious groups or the conservative groups that are fighting for the “correct� (i.e. their way) to solve the environmental issues.

These guys look like they want to help.
Are you an Environmentalist or a "Tree Hugger?"

Here are a few photos that are enticing.
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rje0034l.jpg

Nature in the City

With the way that Couturier writes about interaction with nature, I think she has the best idea of what it is really supposed to be. Her idea is the most modern and most easily comprehensible way of looking at nature. When she quoted her professor, and his way of describing the nature of New York with a “capitol N�, it struck me with a power that I have only felt a few other times while reading a book or essay about nature, the environment, or even fiction.

I really liked the analogy of the ant hill that her professor made as well. To think that a colony of ants is almost directly similar to the way people of New York interact with each other and deal with their day to day lives struck me as fascinating. I would have never thought to relate anything of such magnitude (New York) to something that is so small (ant hill).

When Couturier talks about the sixth sense that “New Yorkers� have, it kind of boggled my mind that she was actually talking about watching rats or mice in the subway stations. But I guess that makes sense because they are attuned to their surroundings far better than we. When she watches the mice scurry away from a doughnut or candy bar, to pick up on the fact that the train is coming is something that is picked up from watching the animals do what they are best at.

With all of this talk of nature is a big city, it makes me think that nature truly can exist anywhere that it chooses. Yes, I say chooses. I believe that nature has its own free will. Plants and animals go where they choose and how they choose. But I believe that they also do this out of necessity and ease. The birds of the story did not have to stay with the crazy lady they could have left at any time, but the ease of food and the necessity of shelter caused them to stay. When the old lady left the building and the birds followed here, it was because it was the easiest way for them to get a meal. The co-existence of nature and humanity is a thin line that I think get crossed every day and then redrawn to a different set of guidelines for everyone. It all balances out in the end.

Here is your city wildlife.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Dillard: Imagery and the Imagination

When I first thought of Annie Dillard’s writing, it made me just sit and ponder about why I just sit and ponder. Her train of thought seems to float as if it were on the winds of time. It all just floats along telling a sweet story of happiness, and also the beauties of nature. She does have her downsides to her writing. In her first paragraph from “Heaven and Earth in Jest�, she talks about her tomcat that, at night, comes in through her open window and leave blood tracks on her naked body. This thought disturbed and comforted me all at the same time. I like the fact that she is very comfortable with the fact that her cat, smelling like blood and urine, can crawl all over her and not make her feel uncomfortable. The part of this paragraph that disturbs me a little bit is the fact that she doesn’t mind the blood of her cat or other cats on her chest. That just strikes me as odd.

When she goes on her little journey through the pastures and across the creek to her spot of choice, the way she described all of the details and senses made me feel as if I was walking right along side of her. My imagination vividly took her writing in and took me into a deep state of relaxation, with a light hearted feeling with in me. But that may just be the fact that I like to sit and stare at the outdoors when I am inside, or just sit and watch the clouds float overhead when I get a free moment outside.

The vivid imagry that Dillard uses to describe the wind blowing actually does the job well. She took “tangible� (a cloud’s shadow) object to show the motion of the wind. The passage of time to here didn’t really seem to matter all that much, nor should it when you have free time. The colors of the sky and the visibility of the mountains and cliffs tell me that she could just sit all day and describe what she sees, what she feels, and what she hears. All her details, the sensory imagery, just makes me feel as if I were there.

Here is a website of things by Dillard.

first blog entry

I believe that Thoreau chose the woods as his living conditions for many reasons. In the quote that was given to us in the prompt, Thoreau stated that he wanted to live as deliberately as nature, and to take in every thing that he could before he died. The woods were a fine choice for him to finally realize what the world around him was lacking in his eyes. When he finally decided to call the woods his home, I believe that he did that for a few basic reasons. He wanted to take in all of the harshness of the wilderness and see how he could handle it; I believe that he was fed up with the dim-witted society of the village from which he moved.
Thoreau lived at Walden Pond for a year plus a few days. When he first started to go up there, he built his own cabin and slept in it while it was still unfinished. This to me, proves that he was man enough to brave the cold nights that were to come in the future months. I also think that he moved out into the woods to prove to himself that he could live on his own with out all of the modern provisions that the village was offering.
I think that society in general caused him to venture off into the woods for a year. In one of the passages from What I lived For, he stated that he had only traveled to the post office once or twice through out the duration of his stay at Walden. I don’t think that he could stand the “mediocrity� that people were living their lives by in the village. I do believe that he over generalized the entire population when it came to this area of his reasoning.
Well I guess that is what I think about why Thoreau decided to go and live in the woods for a year. If I thought that I was as great a man as Thoreau thought he was, I might have gone out and done the same thing as he did. But that would only happen if I lived in that era. For now, I think I’ll live the way I am and love doing it.

Here is the Link to the credited website