Midterm: Polo $ Whitman

Polo - friend to letter
Dear friend,
I write you to tell of my accounts in the new world. This magnificent city is a beautiful orchestrated combination of markets and private life. The bustling New York Harbor is alive with ships and tugs of a shapes and sizes. The winding trains carry thousands to destinations unimaginable. The sidewalks are avenues for countless feet carrying people to their place of business. And in the center of it all are the most brilliantly crafted structures. The peaks of these buildings touch the heavens from the ground below. The ten principle markets of Kin-Sai would be humbled by the shear enormity of this single mega center. The single layered street markets of Asia can now be staked one-hundred fold, exponentially increasing the productivity of the city. Inside any given building is a sea of perfectly displaced stations able to give every worked the balance of privacy and connectivity they need. Then, as the clock strikes five o'clock, a seamless transition occurs to personal life. I tell you, never have I dreamed of a market oriented city with blossoming love life as New York. Couples of the city are literally synchronized by revolving doors. They express their love on double decker busses, river boat rides, and sidewalks around the town. It seems to me that city changes faces at five o'clock. The economic center transforms to a lovely oasis where peace and love can exist. In the middle of a concrete metropolis, the wonderful mystic of love can persevere. Friend, the economic possibilities that could stem from this city are imaginable. I wish for nothing more than to plant roots in this market place. To this concern owns my letter. There is a picture coming out called, The Crowd. This depicts the wonders of the city's business and passion, but could ruin our chance for expansion. This depicts a man named John Sims. He first is wrapped up in the work and romance of the city, but soon his life is depicted in turmoil. He separates from his wife, loses his son, and his job. I tell you, this single story could crush the accounts of my seeing. We are merchants looking for expansion. This is why I write of the best of each town I desire to do business with. The accounts I write can guide us into New York, but the story of John Sims may frighten my investors. I am at a cross roads. Do I peruse with the possibility of failure, or simply seek new lands with similar perspectives. I look forward to your response.
-Marco Polo

Walt Whitman - response to watching The Crowd
The story of John Sims assuaged the anxiety I held of my city. Years before I optimistically foresaw the generations beyond me seeing the same city I did. The Crowd blessed me with the privilege to see my dream. In my work, "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry," I confined my expression to my passage on the ferry that day. The euphoric picture that caught my eye that day was incomparable. I was confined to the vessel in that writing, but shadowing John Sims allows me to see the entirety of the city years gone by. I saw in his story the magnificent wonders this city has to offer. His story also showed the evils that haunted me. The ghosts that corrupt had a strangle hold on John for a majority of the story. Death, heart break, and attempted suicide can impulsively strike anyone. Though to suffer the wrath of the three in the smallest duration of time can deplete a man to pieces. The miraculous rebound ignites a confidence inside me! Oh the questions I would ask John. The curiosity I have of the future Is everlasting. After seeing the struggles John waded though, I would ask him only one thing. In the hard times, did you ever stop and look at what you still have? Surrounding every man is beauty. It is up to the man to stop and admire the grace bestowed upon him. I know there is love within John's heart. When he prepared to take himself out of this world, he witnessed that child playing. The thoughts racing through John's head I am unsure of, but I know something pure crossed his thoughts. All me share one virtue; the ability to have hope. Some chose to imagine the future, and they see dismay, hardship, and letdown. If John was one of these lost souls, he would have found himself mixed with the smoke of that freight train. John saw hope, hope not all can see. I saw it in the city's future; John saw it in his family. Seeing John's hope for his family reaffirms mine for the future of mankind. That day as I wrote of the glories of my city, I was writing of the glories of freedom. I saw the potential for all people and nations to prosper. Seeing the story of John Sims reaffirmed my prediction of the future of this great city. All I ask is that Johns sees the same future I saw years before.