Science and Math Education

From at least the time that the Soviet Union put Sputnik into orbit, the United States has been interested in the state of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education. As China and India have ramped up their efforts to produce scientists and engineers, there have been renewed calls to improve STEM education in America and increase the number of American students who choose STEM careers. I'll be writing more about that in the future. For now, it is important to remember that we can't revitalize STEM education in an overall system that is being stressed and underfunded. A summary of my thoughts on developing a new consensus on improving education appears on the Web site of MN2020, a new think tank. The page is at http://www.mn2020.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B0B80438A-69B8-4E6F-B70E-EFDCF1F93F73%7D&DE=
Let me know what you think.

Welcome!

Beginning in September 2007, I'll be teaching a course called Science and State. It is part of the Master of Science in Science, Technology and Environmental Policy offered by the Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs. I am also new in my role as the Director of the University of Minnesota Center for Science, Technology and Public Policy housed at the Humphrey Institute.

In doing the job and preparing for teaching the class, I have had to think a great deal about the nature of the connections between science and technology on one hand and public policy on the other. I thought I should try out some of that thinking. It is important for civic debate and action in the United States that we talk more about how policymakers interact with scientists and engineers.

The Center is engaged in a wide variety of projects. I plan to write about those projects, the authors I'll be reading and the ideas I come across in in the course of advancing the practical application of ideas and solutions from the scientific and technological communities to solving public policy challenges.

My email is kelle644@umn.edu

The Center Web site is http://www.hhh.umn.edu/centers/stpp/index.html

Steve Kelley