Wayzata student is Sleep Out king

After seven years, Peter Larson has braved frigid temperatures by sleeping outside in a cardboard box to increase awareness of homelessness and other basic needs in communities in the west metro.
Having raised nearly $390,000 for the Interfaith Outreach and Community Partners (IOCP) fundraiser Sleep Out already, Larson hopes to raise another $100,000 in this, his eighth year participating in the program.
When he was 6 years old, Larson learned about the fundraiser when a supporter visited his Cub Scout pack.
"He told us $575 could keep a family in their home for a month," said Larson, according to the Star Tribune. "I thought, 'I can do that.'"
Larson has caught both local and national media attention for his efforts, and last year was a state honoree for the Prudential Spirit of Community Award.
"It makes me feel good that hundreds of families have been able to stay in their homes by my doing this," he said.