« Installing Fedora 9, the hard way | Main | Automating Wireless Login on the iPhone »

MySQL Query Browser Blues

If you're ever around our office and there's a random outburst of obscenities or objects flying in various directions, chances are one of us is using MySQL Query Browser. For whatever reason, Query Browser delights in refusing to execute queries. There is no rhyme or reason. Usually a restart allows you to execute the same query without a problem. Probably the most infuriating attribute is that it returns error messages that make no sense.

There is a load alright...

When the message above was displayed, there was ample memory available on the client machine. The server has so much memory it may as well be a giant solid-state drive. It doesn't specify whether the client or the server is the one causing the problem. Not that it really matters--it seems to be wrong in either case. This is a nearly certain occurrence during any non-trivial length of time spent working with Query Browser.

If the will it or won't it game isn't fun enough, when it works correctly Query Browser has downright strange user interface quirks. Seemingly random column size selection, the inability to copy cells of data with a keyboard shortcut, and not saving the query history until the program exits (which rather artfully assumes that the program will exit normally) add to the experience. I imagine that the fact it's written in GTK+ and ported to Windows does not help with some of these quirks. However, Pidgin's excellent port (developer UI choices non-withstanding) means that excuse is somewhat hollow.

Sadly, it seems to be the only show in town. I could revert to the command line (and do on occasion), but that doesn't help me produce reports. I could use phpMyAdmin, but that has its own quirks--not to mention it being somewhat slow.

Anyone want to help write a new engine-agnostic query tool?