Proper partitioning, FTW.

Having played around with Fedora 9 at work for a while, I decided it was high time to update my main workstation at home. It's been running Fedora Core 5 since it came out, and required a bit of playing around to get it to work properly with the NVIDIA on-board RAID. That tedious installation kinda kept me from upgrading even though they stopped delivering updates a while ago. While backing up configurations and generally dreading the upgrade, I remembered that my Johnston Hall workstation also had an NVIDIA on-board RAID. The manual dmraid configuration I had to deal with before is now handled by anaconda. Awesome.

Thanks to what I thought was an overboard partitioning scheme at the time, all I had to do was reformat the root partition and select packages to install. My /home, /backup (RAID mirrored), /data (large LVM logical volume holding Fedora and CPAN mirrors, database tables, and other stuff), and /var/www directories were all on separate logical volumes so they popped right back up after the reboot. My first log in went straight to my desktop as if nothing had changed.

Aside from restoring config files, compiling a few custom packages (httpd, php, MySQL, proprietary plugins/encoders/decoders) and kicking myself for the slight oversight of not backing up my crontab, I really had nothing left to do after the installation process. Things have come a long way since I played around with Red Hat Linux 6.2 all those years ago. Excuse me while I spin the cube for a while.

Installing Fedora 9, the hard way

Friday afternoon I decided to start the migration process to my new workstation. I'm moving away from Windows XP and on to Linux--an operating system near and dear to my heart. Knowing that the folks over at JaWS (or ADCS?) keep an up-to-date Fedora repository, I decided to do a network-based install rather than burning the 48 CDs or single DVD it would take. Little did I know that this would set me on an interesting journey.

Turns out that we didn't have anything that would burn Fedora-9-x86_64-netinst.iso. Both Roxio and cdrecord (on Windows and Linux) refused to burn the image and we didn't have any MacBooks in the office that burned DVDs at the moment. The SHA1 sums matched, so that was rather curious. In any event, I had a portable hard drive I keep in my pack for random occasions like this and started on getting the installation image onto the HDD.

Continue reading "Installing Fedora 9, the hard way" »