« Hello all! | Main | Glad I Wasn't First! »

Blog virgin

I have been taking online courses at the University since 1999 and I am approaching graduation in May with a Bachelor in Applied Business degree. It will be a different routine at home without 2 courses to worry about each semester. I am sure my wife will have plenty of projects for me to do.

I started at the University in 1974 working towards a Computer Science degree. I completed most of the initial core programming courses before I ran out of money and had to jump into the wonderful world of advertising.

I have always had an interest in computers since I was very young. My dad worked for Honeywell back when the mainframes occupied an entire room and everything was run from tapes. One of my first exposures using a remote computer was with a portable computer that came in a suitcase. We dialed into a mainframe and watched the printer churn out words that could be generated from our telephone number. I was so amazed that we could be accessing a remote computer from our kitchen. My 2 years at the University in the 1970’s were spent in the keypunch room writing programs for the courses I was taking and working for the Graduate School of Business as a programmer in Blegan Hall.

I live in Minnetonka with my wife and two children. They have been incredibly supportive of the time I have put into the completion of my degree. After 30 years in business, it is funny when my 9 year old asks my what I am going to do for a job after I graduate. All he knows I that you get a job after you finish school.

Web 2.0 has changed my current job dramatically. Ten years ago I was only selling commercial time for television stations around the country. Now my sales focus is twofold. Not only am I selling the television station’s broadcast property but also I am also selling their web site. I have to help the advertiser to create a compelling reason for the surfer to dig deeper into a site, which will help generate revenue for the advertiser.

Blog virgin?

In all of my previous online classes we have communicated through WebCT. This is my first attempt at blogging. I hope I can make a seamless transfer into blogging for the course.

On a side note, my 12-year-old son is pleading for a Sims 2 Game. Is it appropriate for a young boy?

Sims 2

Is the content in Sims 2 appropriate for a 12 year old boy?

Absolutely!
With supervision
No way
I have no idea

Congratulations on your last semester! I was a nontraditional student too, working full time and going to school full time for my two BAs. It took about 10 years, and no other degrees have been as sweet so far.

I’m glad to have someone in the class whose experience goes back to key cards. If you notice some interesting parallels as we go along, please speak up.

Very creative title! You got me to focus in on your posting.