« My Friend Flickr? | Main | Folksonomy - Flickr »

categories and RSS

You all did a great job last week. I'll be posting grades over the next few days, so keep an eye on the WebCT grade book. Also, ere several things I wanted to mention that may make your life a little easier as we go along:

1. Please make sure you select a category when you write your post. (The “category” pull down list is at the upper right of the entry screen.) This will keep everything neatly filed for us, for outside readers, and for grading purposes. There was only a little bit that needed to be categorized from last week, and I’ve taken care of that already. Just remember in the future.

2. I will be writing a number of instructional posts like this one over the course of the semester. Since blogs always post the newest entries on top, things scroll down pretty quickly — especially in a class of 35 people! So you’ll need to make sure that you read the necessary posts. You should be reading your classmates’s entries as well, because this class is heavily discussion-based.

There are several ways to do this. You could just keep scrolling back through the archives. You could click on the category of the week or the General Business category and read down through everything that way. Or you could set up an RSS feed. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication, and it makes blog-reading more efficient by collecting all the posts in one place and stripping out the surrounding graphics. It will also help you keep your place in your reading of this blog, because the folder empties out each time you read it. When you come back to it again, everything there will be the newest stuff. If you read more than a couple of blogs or want to keep up with newsfeeds, movie and show listings, weather, or podcasts, RSS can really make things more efficient for you.

There are a number of different free RSS readers out there. The one I use is Bloglines. It’s free and very intuitive, which is important for someone like me who doesn’t want to spend a lot of time setting something up. If you’re a Mac user, you might use the RSS function that is built-in on Safari. There are a number of others out there as well. Just google and you’ll find plenty.

I’m also going to add some technology blogs to our sidebar. Feel free to check them out. Also, if you know of a blog that should be on the list and isn’t, leave a comment on this entry and I’ll add it.