« Hello class, sorry I'm late. | Main | In with the new... »

Does the Internet have a birthday

Does the Internet have a birthday?

The term internet is diverse. It is diverse among origin, definition, and application. Is defining the origin of the internet necessary or is it just an opportunity for individual’s or company’s claim to fame in the soon to be historical textbooks? I believe our pursuit to completely understand the internet reaches beyond textbook definitions and will leave us students and experts in suspense throughout this technological revolution. It is for this reason that I strongly proclaim there may be no existence of a birthday for the internet. Poor internet.

Perhaps the internet is nothing but a global network, with tools such as computers created to be a catalyst of human communications. Therefore in theory, maybe the internet is so abstract that it has no origin, nor any clear definition, and has been forever in existence.

Ian Peter states the following regarding email, “It was never invented; it evolved from very simple beginnings.? Yet later in the article it states that Ray Tomlinson was credited for inventing email in 1972. Perhaps this discrepancy of writings stems from a clear definition of what email is, the simple @ that was created for computers to communicate with one-another. My point is that perhaps there will not be a clear origin of the internet because even defining such a thing is too complex.

Through the dot.com frenzy, from Web1.0 to Web 2.0, and from Netscape to Google, the internet is ongoing and ever-changing. There never seems to be clear definitions or understandings but rather radical hype and on-going, ever changing applications. Web 2.0 to be has been transformational as it has allowed for the everyday users to create their own uses for internet. We no longer must subscribe to a system or software only to be confined to specific applications, paying high-prices to be part of this internet evolution. Through the ever changing need and creativity of the online users, Web 2.0 applications allow for the simplicity and expansion needed to maintain the interest and need of the user.

My experience with computers and the internet can be summed up similar to the history of the internet outlined by Ian Peter in his online writing, “History of the Internet.? Began as a concept and quickly moved into application through the use of computers, through the dot.com era, and into Web 2.0 and future applications. I began with personal thoughts that computers and internet technology was that of the government and not for everyday users. I never dreamed that a computer or the internet would be part of my daily life.

I was introduced to a computer through a friend at approximately the age of 8. Because her parents were teachers they encouraged us to put hours of play into the floppy disk game Grover Math. Before long I was in junior high, my family with our very own computer, and surfing the World Wide Web through Netscape. It began as a fascination with online chatting, and soon led to an academic resource. Soon libraries became ancient research facilities and the internet with it’s dot.com sites directed me to choosing a specific college to attend.

Throughout college the internet has become my favorite communication tool. It allowed me to do research papers, while sipping tea at the local coffee hotspot, and allowing my friends to send me online messages while I was too busy to attend local house parties. Today the internet accompanied with Web 2.0 applications serves as a catalyst to school and business applications. I am able to research job possibilities through the websites of local and global organizations. I am also able to gain work experience while being a fulltime student through online course work at the University of Minnesota.

Now to all my fellow bloggers. Sorry to put all my thoughts of the reading at the beginning but that is the most critical to my grade so I saved my personal introduction to the end.

My name is Amber Rose. I am a senior here at the U of M and look forward to finding a job that is accessible world wide. I believe the tool that will accompany this goal is the internet and thus I am taking this course. I am also taking this course as it will challenge my frustrations with the complexity of the internet and its’ applications. Please be patient with these frustrations through my blogs. (only kidding!) The best of luck to all of us!

Does the Internet have a birthday?

What theory of Ian Peter's do you believe most clearly describes the invention of the internet?

Theory One- Packet Switching
Theory Two- TCP/IP
Theory Three- Telco Origins
Theory Four- Applications layer-led
Theory Five- Ethernet & Xerox Palo Alto