« where the magic happens | Main | Flickr and the reading »

Finally, I'm in!!!

Hello everyone. Sorry this is a bit late, but I had some technical difficulties entering into the course website. My name is Erin Milbrath and I am a senior in the Human Resource Development undergraduate program. I currently work full time as a Human Resources Coordinator at Opus Corporation in Minnetonka, MN. Opus is a full service real estate and construction company. One of their finished projects includes the Best Buy Headquarters in Edina, MN. As a Human Resources Coordinator I assist the various departments within the HR Department. Currently I’m working on many compensation and benefits projects, but am soon going to be transitioning into the training and development department helping design and implement various training programs for our organization. In my spare time I enjoy traveling, hanging out with friends, and of course playing with my new puppy Lola, who is a puggle. Puppies are A LOT of work but are great company to have.

My first computing experience was probably back when I was in elementary school, which was over 10 years ago. I remember playing various educational and learning games such as Word Munchers and Number Munchers and fun leisure games such as Oregon Trail and the Lemonade Stand game. My parents first purchased a computer for my sister and me when I was in the 4th grade. It was a Macintosh because my Uncle was and is a Mac/Apple fanatic and influenced my parents to purchase a Mac verse a PC. I was probably one of the last people to get the Internet out of all of my friends. My friends and I would spend hours at each other’s houses on American Online and chatting in various chat rooms. It took probably years to influence my parents in purchasing the Internet, but they finally did and we haven’t been living without it since. I must say that I was very fascinated with the possibilities the Internet let individuals do as far as: purchasing items, communicating with family/friends/strangers around the world, and the amount of resources on just about any topic you can think of.

After reading the article on Web 2.0 it made me reflect on how the Internet has really changed over the years. Web 2.0 I feel is more interactive and not so much informative. People are able to create and post just about anything. For example the Facebook and MySpace are two huge interactive programs that have become extremely popular within the past few years. For me, these two programs have become a thing I check almost 2-3 times a day. Thus Web 2.0 definitely plays an influence on people’s everyday lives, and I would even go to say that it has influenced our culture. It will be very interesting to see what the next 5-6 years will bring as far as improvements and advancements to the Internet.

Which reality show is your favorite?

I Love New York
Survivor
Real World
Amazing Race
None of the Above

Welcome to the course, Erin. I wonder, though, if Web 2.0 really gives us less information, as you claim? Some folks would argue that reader reviews and hardcore bloggers (which would be a select few) actually provide us with more info that's not mediated through the usual corporate channels.