« Glad I Wasn't First! | Main | How do you do? »

From France to Minneapolis

Hello everyone. I am Pierre, a French student studying abroad for one year. Please pardon my English, which should be actually ok (I hope) but still may contain a few mistakes. I am from south of France, originally from Marseille, but I study in Montpellier. In our system, I should be graduated at the end of this year, in communication and media. I am a full-time student, and besides University I would say that all my time/money/energy go to music. I actually don't play any instruments but I go to a lot of concerts (around twice a week generally), I buy a lot of records, I write about music on some websites and I used to have a dj night every weeks back in France (http://rockittothemoon.blogspot.com). I will probably work for a small record label at the end of this exhange program.
Some of the rest of my time is dedicated to sport (not enough time maybe...). I have played european football for 10 years when I was younger, and I still play sometimes for fun. My roomates are big fan of this sport, which was a good surprise when I arrived here!

I started using Internet very late, compared to what I have read about you. The first computer my family had at home was a pc in 2000 with a 56kbs connection. My father had a Macintosh before (don't ask me which model!) but I never used it. Our first internet provider was a small French company which made us pay with a minute rate and my mother almost killed me when she got the first bill. I had discovered online video games. A few months later, AOL arrived in France with the first cheap illimited contract which was a revolution for us. I did not play video games very long but Internet became a fabulous place to discover music, and almost all my use of internet in now related to it. I started making a website about a band four years ago, and I gave up because I don't have enough technical knowledges. As I said, I have been involved in a few websites, but just as a writer (http://www.soundofviolence.net).

I did not know what the Web 2.0 was exactly before reading the article, and I have to say I am not sure if I completely got it. I think I may have known Web 2.0 since I'm online so I don't really see the difference... I have a little question on this subject. I have seen a few references in the article to the facebook or other websites that I did not know, but nothing about myspace. Since I have been here, I have met many people telling me that myspace is not so popular in the USA, compared to the facebook. I did not expect that at all. In Europe, the facebook does not exist, and everyone (well, almost everyone) has a myspace account. So, is Myspace a good example of what the web 2.0 is? Did I only meet some people not representative of the USA?

French politics

Which French politician have you heard of the most?

Nicolas Sarkozy
Ségolège Royal
Jean-Marie le Pen
François Bayrou
None of them

In America, MySpace is used more by folks in the entertainment industry: musicians, artists, actors, porn stars, etc. Every band that I’m interested in has a MySpace page. FaceBook is more popular among students.

(That's my experience, anyway. Has anyone noticed anything different?)

Hello Pierre! I enjoy talking to study abroad students because there is so much that can be learned. My parents have been to France a few times and I even have some relatives there although I have never visited myself. I thought it was incredible when you mentioned how you go to concerts twice a week! That is great that you can do something you truly enjoy. My boyfriend is also a musician (plays drums and sings) and music can really impact others. Although I don’t know much about music, I enjoy it much.

Wow, your first internet was a minute rate? That reminds me of the phone companies when they used to charge per minute with no free nights. Thank goodness for technology, right? I used to create websites too but gave up on it because I didn’t have enough technical knowledge either. The experience was great and I’m still amazed how adding different codes can do certain different things. I have a myspace and facebook but I use it to write blogs mainly because I still can’t get the codes down right. I would say that myspace is largely used compared to facebook because facebook is offered only to students. (From my understanding)

Hello Pierre,

How do you like it here in Minneapolis? Is it a lot different from France? Can I ask exactly is there a difference between American football and European football?

What made your decision on coming to the United States? I am just curious because I have traveled to Holland and Costa Rica. I like to hear responses from others. Hope to hear from you.

Dawn

Hello everyone.
Well I hope the comment will work this time..

I really like being in Minneapolis. The beginning has been a bit difficult, because I live with 5 guys who knew each other before, but it's been finally a good idea because thanks to them, I met a lot of people and I never really felt alone.

I think I did not have a lot of difficulties to adapt, and the everyday life is not SO different from France. One thing very different is TV. I almost can't watch it because of the commercials, it's insane. The U works differently too (no homework in France, not so much attendance, and only big final exams).

By european football, I meant soccer. But now I got the rules of your football, which were a mystery for me before.

For the decision to come to the USA, I wanted to study abroad for a long time, not really knowing where to go, and I went to this meeting at my university about going to the USA and the program seemed very interesting, so I applied, and after a few months I got accepted. I don't regret it at all, it's a great experience!