« Updating your name | Main | Intro to Krista »

Game on.

In the five years that I’ve been teaching online courses, I’ve found that it’s useful to spend some time getting to know each other at the beginning. These first posts will help us do that as we’re discussing the week’s readings. Since we’re starting on Tuesday this week, you’ll have an extra day to get your posts up. The deadline is Midnight on Thursday, January 18.

Your job this week is to integrate a bit of your personal history with your ideas and questions about the history of the Net. There are several things I’d like for you to accomplish in this post:

• First, spend a just few words telling us a bit about who you are. Some questions you might answer are: Are you a full-time student? What’s your major? What do you do for fun? What’s interesting or unexpected about you?
  • Then, tell us where you came in in the development of the Net. (If you can give us a link, all the better. If not, no problem.) What were your first experiences with computing? With being online? What sort of equipment were you using? How did you react to it?
  • What are your thoughts on the concept of Web 2.0? Do you think it’s generally transformed user experiences online? What Web 2.0 apps do you regularly use? (Remember, things like Amazon reviews count here.)
  • Finally, ask your classmates a simple multiple-choice question using the Sparklit survey application. From the homepage, click on the MiniSurvey link and then on the 100% Free MiniSurveys sign-up link. Follow the directions to set up an account if you don’t already have one. Then follow the directions for setting up a questions. (I’d suggest having no more than five possible answers.) When you get to Step 4 (the “Select Survey Type” prompt), choose Embedded DHTML. Then copy the code it generates and paste the it into the end of your entry. Poof! A survey!
  • When you comment on other folks entries, do ’em a favor and take their survey too. Won’t take but a couple of seconds.

Hey everyone, I'm Natalya Goncharova and I'm a senior at CFANS. I'm studying Scientific and Technical Communications and I hope on being a technical writer for either Boston Scientific or Medtronic. I just recently got an internship from Tameri.com which is an online editing company. I really hope that it will help to prepare me for the technical writing field. I'm definitely learning a lot about grammar and trying to catch mistakes. I'm excited to take this class because it looks like we're going to be learning a lot about technology and communication.

I tend to rely heavily on my computer, I absolutely love my laptop. It's just a really handy thing to have. Thinking back to my first experience with computers, I'd have to say that it was when I was about nine years old when my parents bought a new computer. Back then, I mostly played computer games on it and wasn't really familiar with the internet until a few years later. It's surprising how much I rely on it now, it's hard to imagine my life without it.

After reading about Web 2.0, it got me to think about how millions (or even billions) of people use it on a regular basis. The internet has evolved from being more of a directory with an advertising base to exploding to the dynamic that it has today. With just a click of a button, I can find a movie listing, I could sell something on eBay, and I can keep touch with my co-workers and friends. Something from the article that caught my eye was the growth of the internet can be related to the synapses of the brain. I thought that was a pretty clever line.