« Hello to all! | Main | the other side of Web 2.0 »

Hello Class

Hi there. I am Julie Swenson. I consider myself a super senior at the U. My major is Communications, with a 'minor' in Applied Business. I am self-employed as a Freelance Makeup Artist and Hairstylist, as well as a Salon/Spa/Beauty Industry Consultant. I turned 30 last year and am at peace with the grey hairs, cellulite and wrinkles that keep appearing daily. My husband and I are expecting in July of this year.

My first experience on a computer was around the age of 7. At that time we were either using IBM or Apples. I remember playing Number Munchers and Oregon Trail. It wasn't until my freshman year at the U of M (1995) that I started using the internet, mostly for research and e-mail.
I still use both a PC (desktop) and a MAC (laptop).

I believe Web 2.0 was the next (inevitable) evolution for the dot.com industry. Web 2.0 meets the demands of the internet's audience with benefits such as advanced data management, participation, and free services. I regularly use Craigslist to advertise my business, Amazon to buy books and materials for my business, MySpace to keep my social life going, and YouTube for entertainment.
However, I am still using old applications such as Evite and Ofoto. Because I am not on the internet often, I fall behind on the lastest and greatest.
This begs the question, what will Web 3.0 look like, and will Baby Boomers and Gen Xers be able to keep up? And further, with companies rushing to get on the Web 2.0 bandwagon without a strategic plan, how many of those companies will collapse?

Survey Question

If you could have walked in their shoes for one day, who would you be?

Buddy Holly
James Brown
Elvis
Kurt Cobain
Frank Sinatra

Julie:
Your sparklit survey was a really interesting question. I chose Frank Sinatra because I think in general his days were better than the average Joe's. Too much of a chance for suffering for Elvis or Kurt, and to some extent, James Brown. Now if we could have picked the day....

Good luck with your baby!

Julie:

Good luck with your baby!

I agree that I question how many people will be able to keep up with the evolution of the web. I wonder already how much catch up is being played by most of the world. It would be nice financially to know what the next internet upgrade will be so as to invest in it though.

I also feel like Web 2.0 was an evitable change to the internet. I feel like a big part of the internet is its capacity to evolve rapidly, so no matter what the generation, the people who will use the internet to the fullest extent in the future will be the ones that are able to continually adapt to new technologies.