« This is like BBS | Main | Hello to all! »

Hello! I am hoping this works!

Hi! My name is Kate, I am 21 and I will be graduating in the Spring! I will have a degree from the Carlson School of Management in Marketing. I currently work in Strategic Marketing at Thomson West, part time. After I graduate, I will go full time! I work on their website, www.west.thomson.com; more specifically, on SEO and banner merchandising. It is very exciting because I work on a team that is all new to making a website function better, and we get to learn together! For fun, I run, spend time with my family and friends, read, do crosswords, and I am also a 5K race organizer. Something unexpected about me is that I went to Africa a year ago!
My first experience with a computer was when I was probably 7. I learned to type using Mario teaches typing on a really old IBM, and then soon after that I remember our family getting AOL (circa 1993). I also remember playing games like Number Munchers, Oregon trail, and typing programs in grade school. The first online experience I can remember is figuring out what “IMing� was. My mom got mad when she realized I was talking to a complete stranger I had met in a “chat room.� I remember thinking typing was really cool, and someone once told my mom that it would be a blessing if I could learn how to type, because eventually, I would be able to type faster than I could write. And that meant I could get my thoughts out faster!

I think the concept of the Web 2.0 is brilliant! I think it is true that a new age has come for the internet. As I understood the article, what works and what doesn’t work online is becoming more clear. In my mind, the simpler a website is (little advertising like Craiglist and Google are the most successful because there is not a ton of clutter!) I think Web 2.0 has transformed users’ experiences and what they expect from the Web. Some Web 2.0 applications I use are Facebook, amazon.com, Google, Ebay, and Craigslist.

Kate's Poll

What is your favorite place to grab a bite to eat around campus?

Panera Bread
Chipotle
Burrito Loco
McDonalds

Welcome to the course!

What part of Africa did you visit? My best friend just crossed the Sahara last fall, and it sounded completely fascinating.

I really liked your profile. I live in Eagan pretty much 2 blocks away from Thomas West. I live to travel as well. Africa must have been really exciting. My first online experience was basically the same, playing Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, ect. Your summary of Web 2.0 was done really well as well!

I almost got an internship with Janel Anderson at Thompson West...unfortunately I couldn't find transportation to Eagan. Do you enjoy working there?