« From France to Minneapolis | Main | I do not know what I am doing! »

How do you do?

I'm a 30 year old "non-traditional" student in the Program for Individualized Learning, trying to scrape together a Bachelor's degree so I can get into library school and eventually become a public librarian. When I'm not hunched over my schoolwork, I'm tutoring Somali high school students at the library where I work, which is extremely fun. I'm into bicycles, quilting, gardening, and writing letters on my typewriter, activities which are all on the back burner until summertime, it looks like.

My family's first computer was an Apple II GS. Mostly I used it to play Tetris and make drawings. My dad was always the computer person in the family, and to this day, he has a sign that points to the power button so my mom can find it. I didn't use the Internet until a few years ago, when I reluctantly opened an e-mail account. Strangely, I don't remember much about my first experiences online, just the road-rage feeling of frustration at the slowness of it all. These days things are faster, and I've come to rely on the Internet for work and school. I cannot imagine giving it up.

Even though I don't really use Web 2.0 applications that often, they are interesting to me as a democratizing force. So much of media ownership and control is concentrated in the hands of the rich and powerful few, but the Internet allows for and encourages participation by anyone who can get connected (I have to remind myself that many people in the world don't even have reliable electricity, let alone internet access). That being said, I really like Del.icio.us and Flickr. I like that users can define what they think is important, and influence the online environment accordingly. Communities of interest emerge and disband constantly and collaboration between strangers has become commonplace. Sort of like online classes.

Hello, strangers.

Wild kingdom

Which animal would you most like to spend an afternoon with?

elephant
tortoise
shetland pony
orangutan
penguin

Welcome to the class! I’m fascinated by the fact that you write letters on a typewriter. I learned to type on an IBM Selectric, and I have an old Olivetti that’s in storage until I finish graduate school. What kind do you have?

I miss typing on one sometimes ... it’s such a physical experience compared to typing on a keyboard.

Welcome! It's good to run into another PIL student online. The PIL advisors always said we would. I guess it's true.

Hello, I am Dawn and I was just wondering you say that you are a non-traditional student. Did something happen or occur that you are just trying to finish up your degree?

I also find it very neat that you love to quilt and garden because I enjoy doing that too. I enjoy hearing more about your experiences I look forward to hearing from you.

Dawn