« Survey Fix | Main | Internet: Thanks for everything. »

I'm not a noob....

I’m slow on the draw, but I’ve finally gotten around to my fabulous introductory blog post. This is not my first time blogging, so I can’t really use that as an excuse for my late posting, so I hope that you will forgive me. I am a senior in Scientific and Technical Communication, set to graduate in May with my BS. (I won’t even tell you how many jokes my dad has made about the fact that I’m getting a ‘BS’ from the Rhetoric department.) I just returned from a semester in Sydney, Australia, so if I insert a few “crikeys!? and “g’days? into my posts, you will just have to go along with it. Let’s see…for fun…I like to bake all sorts of sweets, go to concerts, snowboard and read any book that may strike my interest. I hope this gives you a little more insight into who I am as a person. Now I will give you a little more background on my ‘net history’.

I started using the internet in 4th grade for ‘research’ projects. This was back in 1994 when the internet was a scary and dangerous place for us little 4th graders to be wandering around unsupervised. Prior to that, most of my computing experience was word processing on an ancient IBM that I recall using DOS commands on. After my intro to the internet via research in the library, my real ‘use’ began in middle school when I got my first hotmail account and eventually AIM. (My typing teachers that I had from 4th-7th grade would be very upset to hear this, but it wasn’t until instant messaging that my typing vastly improved. The best part about this is that I’m seeing the same thing with my little brothers who are in 4th and 7th grade.)

I’m still a bit foggy on this whole concept of “Web 2.0?, but I think that if I look at how my experiences with the internet have changed over the years, I can say that it has definitely made a difference in the way that I utilize the internet. Before I came to college, the internet was a novelty, now it seems a necessity. I check the weather, news, my email, pay my bills, buy things and entertain myself with the internet. I have a personalized Google page, I use torrent sites, Wikipedia, am Facebook obsessed and rarely go to the library thanks to Google scholar and the online journal archives that the U of M subscribes to.

I am really looking forward to this course and getting to know all of you through your blogs. In the meantime, I’m going to test your political savvy in terms of the great country of Australia. Cheers!

Australian Politics

Who is the prime minister of Australia?

Edmund Barton
Don Bradman
John Howard
Neville Bonner

Guten Abend Mädchen! Just trying to see how to do comments? Will you let me know if you get this?? I could post without issue but obviously my reply skills are lacking....

Scientific and Technical Communication is actually one major I'm thinking of changing to. How do you like it? Would you recommend it for someone with a science background who enjoys writing?