« Intro to Krista | Main | Hello Sports Fans its me SportsGuy22 »

My Personal History Online

I am 53 years old, married for 27 years, and we live in a beautiful house in the woods on a pond in Taylors Falls, MN, with three cats. I am an adult learner in the Program for Individualized Learning (http://www.cce.umn.edu/degrees/pil/). My degree is Information Technology Management in a Medical Setting. I am a part-time student working full-time as a Lead Analyst/Programmer in the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, where I have worked for 15 years. I am a pilot with an instrument rating and I also enjoy scuba diving.

I began my computing experience after buying an Apple II computer in 1979 and taught myself to program it. In 1980 I published a software program for the Apple II titled Mailing List Manager. This began my career as a computer programmer. I entered the development of the Net using modems to dial into Bulletin Board Systems (http://www.dmine.com/bbscorner/history.htm) in about 1981. The first modems I used were 300 baud and then 1200 baud. Wow! I immediately became enthralled with the all of the information available to me on-line! About 1994 I began browsing the Web 1.0 with Mozilla.

I think Web 2.0 has transformed user experiences online. Web 2.0 (O'Reilly, What Is Web 2.0?) certainly has transformed my experience online! I primarily use the web for news and information related to actively managing my investments, retirement accounts, and in support of my career. For weather and pilot preflight briefings, the wealth of infomation available to me has also transformed how I fly. I do as much of my shopping online as I can. For most of my searching I use Google and AltaVista. I use the bowsers Safari and FireFox, and for e-mail I use Apple and OutLook Mail.

Just because I'm a computer programmer does not mean I know everything (or much at all) about the Internet. I look forward to learning much more about Internet Communication: Tools and Issues. With the MovableType blog and Sparklit, I have already begun!

Don't get me started on the iPhone. This blog isn't large enough for me say how excited I am about the technology!

Flying

Are you a pilot?

Private pilot
Would like to learn to fly
Have never flown

Your comment about the Apple II reminded me of the IIe, which I hadn’t thought about in years. It was the first machine I used after the Atari. Ah, memories.