« Event: We are having 2 kegs and a wop! | Main | Profile Builders Anonymous »

Be Responsible For Your OWN Privacy

I’ve been a member of Facebook for a few years now, but to be honest I’m not a big fan of it. It has been more of a community to re-unite with high school classmates and contact people I’ve met in college rather than a community of true friends for me. Personally, I find the whole privacy issue a bit humorous. Like I’ve said in previous blogs, I am very conscious of what I put in my online profiles. I don’t put anything out there that I don’t want anyone with a computer to see. Fact is not matter how “secure? a website is there will always be someone who finds a way to hack in. I do have to say that I think Facebook is better than some online communities. Theoretically, people can only view your profile if you add them as a friend or if they attend your school. That does narrow down the amount of people who have easy access to your profile. I think this is a good feature compared to Myspace, where you have to manually change your settings so only your friends can see your profile (a hard/confusing task for some). I think it is good for schools to give students guidelines for Facebook use. I think some of the younger students are not as wise with their online use and providing them some warnings or recommendations is a good way for the schools to help them out. I personally don’t think it should be Facebook’s responsibility to protect your privacy. I think it should be your responsibility to be smart about what you put online and protect your own privacy!

I agree-- the privacy issue is quite humorous. Having values and respect for yourself, I think it is wise to be responsible for yourself and protect your own privacy, rather than blaming it on Facebook which does give you the option rather or not you want to take advantage of it.

I totally agree with you that it's everyone's personal responsibility to protect their own privacy by only putting information about themselvse that they want others to see. I think that there should be some sort of warning or comment on the online networking sites for people who haven't had much online experience to know that they should be careful in what they put online. I think that it's not up to Facebook or anyone else to protect our privacy but our own.

I agree with you that younger students really put anything in there profile, like location information, where they work, phone numbers, etc. not to mention some of the pictures that I have seen. I think however if a disclaimer was given to all students periodically about what to post and what not to. I also believe that it's not really the responsibility of facebook to protect your privacy.