« What is a community? | Main | Soaps + Online Friends = Community »

Digital Communities

My first contact with the social networking giant Myspace came when a member of my band set up an account for us to advertise. I remember when I initially looked at the site, I took me some time to figure out what the point of the website was. Now of course the site is a peice of every teenage vocabulary and such a thought would seem absurd to some. But even as I've become fairly familiar with the site over the years in using it for band related purposes, (posting events and invitations, blogging here and there, dealing with comments and things, and most importantly contacting other bands) however I don't have a personal one for myself. I think the site is a very useful networking tool for bands at other groups but as for having an individual account I've never really seen the point for myself. Whenever I used the site it was only to check mailings and the like; I didn't spend much time exploring other peoples profiles. Another online community I would consider myself a part of is a news foum at a music website called absolutepunk.net. There's a lot of users posting there at varying degrees, so until recently I've been a lurker. But I've began making small posts from time to time. The message board as a whole functions iin many of the same ways as the r.a.t.s. forum described in the Baym piece. There are many different subgroups covering all music related topics, and I've definitely noticed Baym's point in action that "a small group of people does most of the performing" (Baym, 105). "Flame-wars" (117) are also definitely in full affect in the forum, as it's basis in music allows for much difference of opinon. It's interesting that these sites that are aimed at recreating personal socialization over distances seems to have replaced (for some) socialization even for those that live nearby.

I noticed you had stated that you used myspace in order to promote your band. This actually is my favorite (if not only) feature that myspace has and I believe that the music industry really should catch on to this more.

I also love Myspace for its link to the music world, it is actually a big reason why I created a personal account on there (I too used to be a skeptic and didn't really see the point). I am friends with a lot of people in bands and have a group of friends that I enjoy going to local shows with. I like that I can list the shows that I plan on going to on my Myspace page and that my friends do that as well. It is an easy way to see who's going to what shows so we can share rides!

I completely agree with you. It's an immensely useful tool for bands, and even if some older or maybe bigger bands don't operate myspace sites there's millions of smaller market bands that do. I'm not sure I know of any bands that don't start a myspace account just as soon as they would a website or Purevolume, and because it's become the go to space it is much easier to book tours and shows across the nation. I've never really given much thought to using myspace on a personal level, but at the same time one of the biggest reasons myspace works for bands is because it makes it so much easier to connect with fans, so it's good that so many kids do.

I agree myspace is a really good place to get know about bands that you normally would never find out about. Enough though some people are switching over to facebook, i will always be on myspace. A really cool site that i used for my myspace profile is Cute Myspace Layouts