« Book 'em, Danno. | Main | Face(less)book »

Get Out of My Face....book

When Facebook was created I thought it was a great idea. It was a way for college students to keep in touch and post interesting things about themselves so their friends can learn things that they didn't know before. However, my opinion changed when it decided to open Facebook to anyone and turn into a MySpace. I do have a Facebook page and as I get closer to graduation and a job, I become more and more aware of the things that are posted, tagged, or claimed on my profile. I have considered whether or not I should discontinue my membership altogether but have not because I enjoy the site. I have also considered removing my tags from all my pictures that feature me consuming beverages. While I am 22, some companies may look done on this. Some other things that I have done to keep my privacy hidden is used their more advanced privacy features where only friends can see my full profile. I believe that Facebook has done a decent job of addressing its member's concerns when it began the newsfeed and making it open for everyone. Along with the steps I have already mentioned with keeping myself private, I also have tried to leave all the groups that deal with drinking and removed all the comments that may be pro-partying.

In the Schneier article, "Facebook should have added the feature as an option, and allow members to opt in if they wanted to. Then, members who wanted to share their information via News Feeds could do so, and everyone else would not have felt they had no say in the matter." They have actually implemented privacy that revolves around this statement. I believe that Facebook has tried to keep people from leaving and better privacy issues are a way to do this

In regards to the question whether schools should concern themselves with Facebook and other social networks, my answer is: If they want to yes. I think Cornell and the U do a good job recognizing the harms that can come to those that use social network sites. The schools use their students in graduation and job placement statistics and the more good jobs that graduating students get, the better it looks for that University.

In all honesty, I think that Facebook has hardly any responsibilities when it comes to our privacy. We let this go out the window when we agree to the contract. If someone does not like it, leave. Some of the information needs to be private for high schools kids. However, when we reach 18, we have to control what gets put on the internet.

I also looked at the data in the PEW research and I have trouble finding the relevance to what we are discussing. I am assuming that everyone on this site is over the age of 18. Therefore, while I do find some of the data interesting; such as the fact that 91% of the teens use it to stay in touch with someone they see alot, I do not feel like this article is relevant to the class.

In Gurak (113) she talks about Big Brother and how they are tracking us using sites like Amazon. However, I believe that they could track people much better using social networking sites. They could get a much better feel of what our likes and dislikes are. It is scary to think what the future holds but we need to recognize that Facebook has privacy settings for a reason. So use these sites with your own caution and make sure you don't post anything that you don't want the world to see.

I think you have identified a few issues with the privacy issue with online sites. If you are concerned about future employment, why don't you pull the plug on Facebook? What would happen to your social life if you pulled your profile. Would you be looked down on for not having a presence on the site? I am just curious how important it is for your social interaction.

Good observations

Mike

This really does make me think. Would people look down on me if I didn't have Facebook? It seems like one of those things that someone without much experience in college social circles might think upon learning about Facebook, but honestly, with the amount of technology available today, there's so many different ways to keep in touch with people. Pretty much every college student I can think of, including myself, has a cell phone, and even if you didn't for some reason, you're automatically assigned an email address through the school as soon as you're enrolled here. Would not having Facebook exclude you from social circles? Maybe you'd miss out on that specific aspect, but it certainly wouldn't make you any harder to get a hold of.

I agree. That if you are hesitant about ruining your reputation or worried about privacy issues, then you probably should not sign up for Facebook. By signing up with any 3rd party discussion forums such as Facebook and MySpace, you have to know that privacy is going to be limited. That is why you need to be cautious about what information you decide to disclose. And if you see it becoming a problem--disconnect yourself from these forums.

One needs to know when the time is to disconnect themselves from Facebook and MySpace. We all have heard that these two programs can play an influence in jobs. (such as searching for a job/career)