« So.... are you on Facebook? | Main | Friendship update »

MyFriendSpaceJounalster

I found these articles interesting even while they brought back chilling memories of grade school drama. I think there is material for about 1000 'Seinteld' episodes for adult users of MySpace--you find the childhood bully, person you embarassed, who embarassed you--or fill in the blank, and revenge, apologies, or comedy ensue.

I think what is interesting about social networking is also what is scary, and what many of us have been talking about all along--and to some extent is also true in real life--you have to put yourself out there to get anything back--but are you willing to share yourself with the rest of the world? It is one thing to talk about soap operas or a special interest daily or weekly with a select group of people, and perhaps sharing more over time. It is quite another to craft a profile that may be a half-portrait, may be self-delusion, may be self-promotion, with photos, to simply access the site.

The fact that boyd noted that in the early stages of MySpace and Friendster different populations existed in their own bubbles, more or less ignorant of one another, is hard for me to wrap my mind around, but interesting to think about (and could be another few 1000 'Seinfeld' episodes). I also thought her comment that social networking spaces were "not friends-only space[es], but ehya re a public space with some assumptions about the scope of that public." How Friends are addressed publicly or privately matters on the site just as much as it would in a physically social setting.

I also find it interesting that for every social networking site, there seems to be an angle, scheme, or way of strategizing to get the system to work for the user in ways that may not be the intention of the designer or the assumption of other Friends--like the Fakesters who were destroyed in the Fakester genocide. This also mirrors RL. There are always people who can pull back and read a situation and make it work to their best advantage, sometimes within the law, sometimes outside it, while others are mired in minutae. This is a gift in certain contexts.

I'm not sure if I agree with boyd that 'teenagers have not way of being simultaneaously cool to their friends and cool to their parents." (p. 13) You can see I am someone who gets caught up in minutia. That depends on the expectations of the parent and the expectations of the friends, I guess.

I'm also perplexed by the idea of being defined by your Friend networks rather than your interests. Again, you would be using a personae, or at best only a part of yourself to attract this network.

I totally agree with you. I too am shocked that people have begun to define themselves by their friend networks rather than their characteristics. I think that people need to rethink who their friends really are and not try and get the most friends possible. Good Job.