« Online Self-Actualization | Main | Real, Virtual...I choose real people »

The Counter-Strike 2nd Life.

Looking back on my “second life,� I would say that it all started back in the day, when my buddy introduced me to Counter-Strike. This really was not much of an online community (it is a first person shooter,) but with so many servers online, and after one has established a “home� server, one starts to develop a somewhat of an online counter strike persona. So you are probably wondering what could possibly make a first person shooter online personality. Well, in the world of Counter-Strike, there are many different ways to play the game, much of which reflect on the type of person you are. (ex. A ‘camper’ is who just sits and waits for people to come for them, an attacker who is always on the move, or the sneak who just kind of sneaks around and does their own thing.) This is the beginning of the Counter-Strike second life. After a while, people start to know the name you have been using, and when you are constantly talking to the other players throughout the entire time you are logged on, a second life emerges. One can only choose one of two teams to be on, and each team has four player choices. Yes, they look human, but are all very generic. When your user name has been established in the server’s community, other players will start to recognize you and either enjoy playing with you, or not. There are many quirks that go along with an online first person shooter virtual persona, but really, it is not that great.

After looking around on “Second Life,� I realized that this community offers a lot more that I had initially thought possible. With their own currency and so many options, I find it quite entertaining and interesting. But I feel that the whole second life scene really isn’t for me. When Kirkpatrick writes in his article that “(the) 3-D realms such as Second Life the ‘next phase of the Internet's evolution’ and says they may have ‘the same level of impact’ as the first Web explosion.� I disagree with this; I honestly look at the whole second life scenario as a game rather than having any sort of serious impact comparable to the ‘first Web explosion.� But then again, maybe I am wrong. Maybe the whole second life scenario will take off, and become bigger than I could have ever imagined.

I also play Couterstrike(but im not that good) and I think it is difficult to categorize it as a game, second life, or something else. Unlike WoW your game changes every now and then and you cannot really create your character. However, you can make your own name and spray so I suppose that makes you unique. I think that as time goes on Counterstrike may set up a seperate server that gives people access to a longer game. Interesting post.

I couldn't agree with you more, after reading and looking futher into Second Life, I was amazed by the capabilities the users are able to do. It's really like creating another "second" life, the life that you always wanted! However, I agree that even though the features and effects are fascinating--this whole virtual reality thing definately isn't something I would particularly partake in. Simply because, I don't have the time to sit and create and maintain something like this. Kirkpatrick mentioned that 1 in 6 users have difficult even setting up the Second Life world, and I would probably fall in that 1 of 6. Being a full time student, full time worker doesn't leave you a whole lot of time to sit in front of a computer and create another world for you to live. My current real life is hectic enough as is!

I can relate to that type of "second life" on the message boards. On the adultswim.com boards, where I regularly post, accounts are basically identified by a user name which shows up in a different color depending on your rank (basically dependant on how long you've been around the boards) and possibly an icon of an Adult Swim character. Sure, people can identify other people by those simple things, but in the end, it's your contributions to the boards that determine how people see you. If you spam, troll, or generally act like a jerk to people, you won't make many friends.

Very interesting post. I talked about online gaming too a little, but I didn't go as deep.

I agree with you on the fact that your personality can appear in the game (the camper exemple), and I remember how people started calling me by my game nickname even outside of it.
I wasn't very good at Counter Strike but I remember spending hours on a similar game (Frontline Force), playing in a team, and finally playing for "France". At this time I can retrospectively say that I had two lives : a "normal" one (these hours of gaming never affected my scolarity or family life, I have been lucky I suppose) and this online life with this gaming community, where it was very easy to lose our minds, talking to people from different countries and sometimes even becoming "famous".

Coming back to the subject of this week, I don't think my identity was very different anyway, because I did not realize at this time that these two lives were separated, so I was being the same in both cases.