« It depends on your definition of crime, I suppose. | Main | Obstructing Justice »

Gone Phishing…

I personally have not encountered any problems with internet crime. I have never fallen victim to any phishing scams, although I’ve read some pretty convincing ones. As far as I know nobody had stolen my personal information or identity. I would like to think of myself as someone who is smart enough not to fall victim to internet crime.

Like I’ve said several times already, I am very careful with the personal information I put on the web. The only experience I’ve had with internet crime is when my former roommate had hundreds of dollars stolen out of her checking account by someone who found her account information online. In order to avoid phishing, identity theft, etc. I contact companies directly when I get an e-mail instead of replying to the e-mail.

I think it is totally unethical for anyone to scam someone else out of money, even if the person being scammed is from a wealthier country. This is in no way some sort of modern Robin Hood ethic. I’m not an expert in the matter, but I would assume a lot of the people who fall victim to these scams are not wealthy themselves, even though they come from a wealthier country. I would think there would have to be some kind of desperation for money to believe in these far fetched scams.

Wikipedia tweaking or vandalism, although wrong, should not be considered a crime. It is everyone’s write to free speech. If a website, such as Wikipedia, has rules against changing information on their site, then there should be consequences if these rules are violated. Colbert is not a criminal, just a master at taking advantage of the technology available to him.

I completely agree with you about the ethics of people from poorer companies stealing from richer ones. I like the point you made about how if people are falling for these scams it's very likely that they're desperate for money as well. The richer people get I'm sure the more careful they are with their money, and less likely to fall for the scam.
I also agree with what you wrote about Wikipedia. I think what Colbert said about how if enough people believe something is true, it's true is definitely a good thing to point out about Wikipedia. While it's a good site for a wealth of basic general information, there's something almost descrediting about the fact that they aren't official encyclopedia entries (although in the case of the politians, maybe thats for the better).

I agree that it's definately unethical for people to scam other people's money simply because they are from a less wealthy country. You make a good point that the majority of these individuals being scammed are probably not that wealthy, hence, falling into this scam with the hope of becoming more wealthy. I think everyone needs to be cautious and aware at all times as to what information and resources they decide to give people they do not even know, nonetheless, of monetary value.