« Phishing in Mankato? | Main | $25 Million in Nigeria? I'd be stupid not to do it..... »

Here Phishy Phishy Phishy.. ..

What makes a bogus website credible?

This is a great question and the truth is I don't know. And the further truth is that even reading further in cyberliteracy and the Why Phishing Works article I still am challenged in the understanding of what the difference is between a credible and non-credible site entails.

When reviewing this information I not only became concerned regarding my own internet identity protection but for everyone. The following quote makes it clear that everyone is a target and everyone can be a candidate for theft:
"In our study, neither education,
age, sex, previous experience, nor hours of computer
use showed a statistically significant correlation with
vulnerability to phishing." (Dhamija, Tygar, Hearst, p.2)

In conclusion. . . .I think the best guidelines to perform for protection is to not submit personal information online. One should be careful even using their real names. Potentially an alias is the best when participating in online communities. I personally seek to protect my identity information by not shopping online nor providing information such as address, phone numbers, or social security numbers.

Dhamija, Tygar, Hearst state that phishers strategize toward a lack of knowledge, visual deception, and lack of attention. My preventive actions toward these strategies is to use a browser that I am familiar with. For example, Internet Explorer is the browser I grew up on so very familiar with the visuals and feel most comforted here. But friends have also introduced me to Mozilla Firefox stating that it is a more secure online browser.

Because I do not provide personal information regarding my identity I do not believe I have experienced this sort of online crime.

Is it truly unethical that people in a developing country like Nigeria are scamming people from wealthier countries, or does it reflect a Robin Hood sort of ethic?
No, of course it is not ok. Stealing from people whether rich or poor is a crime.

Does something like Wikipedia tweaking or vandalism really count as a crime? If so, does that make Stephen Colbert a criminal?
I believe that it does not institute a crime unless there are laws regarding these specifics. In this case Wikipedia has a online policy that members should abide by. I believe they are doing their best to prevent this online vandalism.