« Phun for Everyone | Main | Colbert isn't a criminal--he is just being funny! »

I *Think* My Identity is Still Mine

I have had almost no exposure to the sorts of internet crime described in the various links, though it is of course true there are other kinds of internet crime. Specifically, I don't believe that I have been the victim of identity theft, and I am fairly sure that I've never fallen for a phishing attempt. I am sure that I have been bitten by a virus or two, which certainly qualify as "internet crime", and I have done some reverse engineering myself that might be construed as "crime" under the DMCA, though wouldn't be considered at all illegal in the EU. The closest that I have come to the kind of crime described in the linked material was when a friend of mine had his AIM account "stolen" by someone who proceeded to regale me with homophobic attacks.

I must admit that I haven't taken many real precautions to protect myself from phishing or identity theft. I take care to never click links sent to me via email, and instead opt to sign into any sites "manually". I am also fairly careful about actually joining a site that requires much personal information, and so I don't participate in online banking or the like.

Before reading the article about phishing I more or less assumed that anyone that was "computer savvy" could never be fooled by such attacks. After reading the article, I am less sure. Certainly the simple step of manually logging into a site at the "real" address could foil the vast majority of the phishing attacks described in the article. However, it seems clear that both education and better tools will be necessary to reduce these kinds of crimes. I think that an increase in the application of laws related to such crime is the wrong approach, as music copyright enforcement has demonstrated.

I do not "buy into" the idea that it is somehow more ethical to steal from people with more money than you, regardless of the difference money or net worth. That line of reasoning is foolish, because . However, the volume of "419" internet crime indicates that there is a major problem in the global economy, and perhaps the US should take steps to modify its foreign policy in order to address the rampant poverty in countries like Nigeria.

Finally, I think it is clear that Wikipedia "tweaking" can clearly not be treated as a crime. To say that it is a crime is to change the definition of Wikipedia.