« Try this. You'll receive 50 million dollars!! | Main | Let's Take a Bit Out of Crime »

Internet scamming is a crime

After watching the video clip on e-mail scamming, I realized that I have also received the same kind of emails. I have received two emails in the last couple of years that have talked about someone dying and leaving their inheritance to whoever wanted it. I personally did not believe that email to be legitimate. The fact that I had no clue as who was sending me those emails and how it is that they got my email were the two factors that let me know that it was probably a scam. I don't think that the people in Nigeria who do Internet scams have the Robin Hood sort of ethic. I think that their line of work is unethical and is unjust. Just like the video clip stated, the people who do the Internet scamming are mostly young and computer saavy young men. I think that it gives other people the wrong direction about what having a job is all about. Instead of going to school and trying to get a good job, some people think that they can just spend their time scamming people and earning quick cash. I don't see anything that is ethical or right about that situation. I know that the people in that country are really poor, but that isn't an excuse to rob innnocent people.

I don't have any personal experiences with Internet crime; however, I do know people who have been victims of identity theft and Internet scams. One person that sticks out in my mind in particular is one of my mom's friends who had $6,000 taken out of her bank accounts. She received an email from her "bank" that asked her if she wanted to view her balance or something of that sort and she typed in her information thinking that it was the real bank's website. In a matter of moments, she had all of her accounts emptied out. She found out about it when her bank notified her that $6,000 was taken out of her accounts at one time. She reported it and was able to get her money back, but it was definitely a stressful experience. She said that the email was formatted the same way as the real bank website and that she had no idea that it was a set up. When she talked to her bank about this incident, they told her that banks do not send out emails asking their customers to view their accounts. The people have to go on the bank's website themselves to do that.

Tweaking and vandalizing Wikipedia is a crime in my opinion; however, I don't think that it's as severe as Internet scamming activities. Everyone knows that anybody can go to Wikipedia and type anything in it, it's up to the people to figure out whether or not the information that they're receiving is legitimate. I don't think that it's good to tweak people's information and I'm not sure if it would be fair to call Stephen Colbert a criminal because that would entail imprisonment. I think that Wikipedia as more of a blog page, although some of the information that is one there is really informatve and factual, but when it comes to people's biographies, I think that people should double-checked the information from other less-temperable sources.

I am glad you also agree with me in that there is no "Robin Hood" justice involved in these internet scams.

I agree with your post. I, too, have received emails from Nigeria and while I have never fallen for them, I am surprised that some are looked at as heroes rather than criminals. I think it hurts the reputation of the people in Nigeria that work hard for their money. Some of the people they are robbing probably are poor and are losing what little they have left. I also agree that vandalizing Wikipedia is a crime. Giving false information to an authority is a crime, why shouldn't this be? Also, Colbert advocating the crime is none better. If a person in power tells you to commit a crime they are just as guilty. Look at Nixon. Good post.