« Interesting Article | Main | Try this. You'll receive 50 million dollars!! »

Let's "Make It Mankato"!!

I am thankful enough to say that I do not have very many experiences with crime on the internet, or at least occasions when I fell victim to it. There are plenty of times when someone attempts to pull a random new email scam or something of the like on me but I have always been cautious enough to avoid getting hit. The two times I have experienced "crime" per say on the internet were on ebay and amazon. There was one time I purchased a videogame from a seller and it was just a copied cd of the original game with a highly elaborate (but still obviously fake) label glued on it. The other time was when I purchased a book from a seller who immediately after receiving my money decided to leave half.com. Luckily I was refunded by the site itself.

The precautions I have taken to avoid such events are pretty similiar to the ones Gurak points out on page 109: I think before I post (anytime you type any sort of data onto your computer it's important to take everything into consideration before posting). I don't start chain letters. When I notice something wrong, I inform those that are close to me of my newfound information. Also; I clear my cookies and temporary files, I use a firewall, I use anti-virus software, and I don't download things from unknown sites.

I don't believe in the Robin hood ethic at all in regards to Nigerian scamming. I don't think there should be any justification for scamming people out of their money. I do however believe that more videos like the ABC news video need to come around in order to help suppress these events from happening. While I can't help feeling sorry for the people who get scammed in this manner, I have to say that they brought it upon themselves by giving this sort of information to the unknown. I also enjoyed the very last lyric from the group singing about the 419 suspects who quite simply put it as, "you are the loser, we are the winner". Its that simple, your never going to gain from giving out information to untrustworthy sites, someone else is going to.

Wikipedia is a touchy subject in regards to information Tweaking. It's hard to say whether it is a crime to tweak the information or not for your own benefit because the basis of Wikipedia calls for anyone to be able to edit the pages. I would rather describe tweaking as misleading or sometimes propagandizing (if thats a word?) for one's own use. From the star tribune article it often looks like the most likely to do this are politicians and sadly two of them happen to be from Minnesota. Politicians can't seem to find enough ways to lie and cheat apparantly.

As a sidenote I really want to know if someone actually got scammed into coming to Mankato to vacation on the beach during the winter as the scam outlines on Gurak pages 92-93.