« DON'T READ THIS UNDER ANY CONDITION!!! | Main | Here Phishy Phishy Phishy.. .. »

Phishing in Mankato?

I have not had any personal experiences with Internet crime. Well, unless you consider the viruses that constantly attack your computer and the never-ending battle keeping your computer protected. I guess I consider that a crime. On the up side, my identity is still intact. Since my Internet activity is minimal and I rarely purchase online, I have curtailed these issues. I verified the website when I have made purchases online (probably less than four times). The websites were secured and dependable. In “Why Phishing Works?, I found I instinctively follow the precautions: security identifiers, content/domain name, and padlock icon (and not in the content!). Certificates are in my subconscious but nothing I purposely look for. In the future, I will be doing that. I was not aware of HTTPS. In fact, I would have guessed that to be a phishing strategy. This is a great article. I will be recommending these tips to a few friends and some “older surfers.? One can never be too careful in cyberspace.

Nigeria and ethics? I just received one of these emails last week through my UMN email address. I was actually shocked at the woman from Alabama on YouTube who gave out information in response to this type of email. First of all, the spelling and grammar is atrocious. The facts of the email do not make sense either. In the email I received, the victim a “poor British lad? but yet the money was to be sent to a bank in Nigeria. Go figure! In my mind, scams are scams. It doesn’t matter who is doing it. This is not a Robin Hood situation. If money is needed, there are legitimate and ethical ways to ask for help. These men are computer savvy. As one of the men in the video states, the “419 Men? do not want to work. They have opportunity and computer skills to do positive work for themselves and their communities. If criminals put as much energy and cleverness in good deeds as they do in their crimes, what a success they could be.

Wikipedia is for quick reference but not a site I ever count on (or use) for research and documentation. A number of instructors in the past have specifically mentioned that Wikipedia information does not count as a legitimate source. As far as tweaking the information, it surely appears to draw attention to the “tweaker?. I am confused on the “policy against autobiographical edits.? It makes me wonder even more about the validity of the sources and articles (especially if that person is still alive). Although Gutknecht cites politicians (and who knows their agendas!), I would believe there are others who have edited personal information on them. I assumed that just about anyone had the ability to contribute and modify data.

Chapter 5 of Cyberliteracy was fun to read. I never thought of the implications of the zillions of jokes, hoaxes, and chain letters on the net. That is cyberspace clutter! After reading this chapter, I believe I have received just about every example Gurak cites. The chain letter which must be forwarded for good luck, sick children with cancer (page 82), the “evil AOP? letter (pages 85-86) and even the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe (page 108). I’m surprised she did not mention the gas boycott email that surfaces every time gas prices rise. The Neiman Marcus recipe chain letter must be decades old. I remember receiving that one on paper! As far as traveling to sunny Mankato, I haven’t seen that hoax. As Gurak writes on page 92, “The power of reach and the sophisticated visual tools make us believe in what we see.?

I agree with you that the men in Nigeria do not fit the Robin Hood sort of ethic. They are computer saavy men who could get a job in the computer industry but are too lazy to get a real job. I'm glad to know that there are organizations in Nigeria that are fighting against those kind of scamming organizations. I also verify that the websites that I'm purchasing things from are legitimate. I am absolutely terrified of having someone hack into my bank account and empty it out.

I have never had any personal experiences with Internet crimes either, like you I have had a virus on my computer before because of junk e-mails. I also recieved one of these e-mails through my UMN e-mail. And I also agree with you that a crime is a crime. These 419 scams are not Robin Hood type of ethical scams, they are criminal acts and the people doing it should serve a lengthy jail sentence.

As far as Wikipedia is concerned, I don't really use it as a ligitimate source either, it's all posted by other users and I feel that I can only use it as maybe a starting point to quickly check something out.