« $25 Million in Nigeria? I'd be stupid not to do it..... | Main | The Law of the Internet »

Wait! Not everything on the internet is true????

On a personal level, I haven’t had any experience with internet crime what-so-ever. No crime has ever been committed against me that I know of. However, even though the article, “Why Phishing Works,? by Dhamija, Tygar, and Hearst’s studies showed that the amount of experience on the internet, education, sex, and total time spent on the internet did not affect their results at all, I had a hard time believing that. I spend a decent amount of time on the internet, and because so, I have always been weary of my personal information. I only give it out to websites that I knew I could trust. But then I realized while reading that the little things that people were not looking for, I was guilty of as well. I never knew the difference, until now, between http and https. I have known about the secure lock image within the frame of my browser, but then I thought about it, and I’ve never really utilized it in times when I should have. After reading that article, I was actually rather surprised that I had not already been a victim of online phishing. The only standard I’ve used in the past as whether or not it seemed to be a credible site by its layout, quality, and sometimes when it had last been updated. I’ll try and work on that from now on!

As far as the scams out of Nigeria go, I think they are completely unethical and in no way could be considered as the Robin Hood sort of ethic. Yes, it’s true that Nigeria is a country that is stricken with poverty; however, that does not make what they are doing ok. In fact, it can be looked on the same as if Nigeria were to become one of the biggest and best countries at smuggling drugs into the United States. Just like these current scams, they would be gaining money from wealthier countries. At least in that scenario, the person giving money would actually be receiving a product in return. (I know, I know, not a good product). But I do feel that some of the blame is on some of the people who are stupid enough to become involved in such scams. Everyone on the internet should be aware of spam, and the kind of troubles it can get you in. They should know that their email is NOT secure. However, I have seen reports on people targeting older online users, and telling them that it was their grandchild, and they were in trouble and needed money. It is things such as these that need to be deemed as very illegal, and should be prosecuted against. It’s just a problem of getting the other countries to cooperate and agree.

I do not think that what Stephen Colbert did should be seeing as illegal. I was merely trying to make a point that the system Wikipedia operates under is not necessary 100% factual. In this specific situation, I think that Wikipedia is the one to blame for making this information changeable in the first place.