so much Internet, so little time 2: VoiP

Ramona asks about VoIP, or Voice Over Internet Protocol, which is another thing we didn't have time to cover in depth this semester. There’s a good overview article on the O'Reilly Network. The app most used in my circles is Skype (more here). Matt’s midterm paper broadened my horizons a bit, and he pointed out that Ventrilo and TeamSpeak are heavily used in gaming circles.

Gcast to the rescue!

Hey all,
William here to try to help. I feel really bad for everyone, because I just got lucky that my computer had a microphone, so I did a little searching and found Gcast! It should help a lot since you can record from your phone. Honestly I never tried it, but it looks ridiculously easy.

Also, Krista asked that I go into explaining how switchpod works, but as I said, I found it just a few seconds before I started podcasting for the first time ever. Since most of you also figured it out that tried, and I haven't seen any complaints, I will not go into it unless asked. To the rest of you, I would use Gcast. No promises, but I will try it tomorrow if I get a chance.
Big Will

stripgenerator

If I had known about Stripgenerator a week ago, I would have made it an option for the Week 10 assignment. Looks like a fun web-based app, and it would definitely be usable for a final project in this class. (More info on that coming soon, btw.)

twitter

I’m curious: are any of you using twitter yet? I’ve been watching it blow up over the past few months, and it seems like in the past few weeks it’s seriously caught on. The site blurb describes the app as

A global community of friends and strangers answering one simple question: What are you doing? Answer on your phone, IM, or on the web...
I’m not using it myself, since I’m too private for an app like this to appeal to me. The only time I can see myself using it is when I’m traveling and don’t have the time to regularly blog.

Still, the ways other folks are using it are fascinating: for instance, I was intrigued by the way Maggie Mason used it (and flickr) to keep the masses updated during her labor. The idea of twitter fiction has a lot of possibilities, and no doubt people will find business applications for it. Darth Vader and John Edwards already have.

sugar

For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, Business Week has an article on Sugar, the operating system for the $100 laptop.