Kate's Comic!

Kates Bigger Text Comic

stripgenerator

If I had known about Stripgenerator a week ago, I would have made it an option for the Week 10 assignment. Looks like a fun web-based app, and it would definitely be usable for a final project in this class. (More info on that coming soon, btw.)

No internet???

It has just been within the past 3 or 4 years that my communication has greatly shifted to becoming more technologically inclined. I now can not go ANYWHERE without my cell phone and I check my e-mail about 20 times a day. I do know that I take part blame of the dependancy however, I feel as though these past few years our world has become more and more dependent as well. I am sitting in a room right now with four other people. and we are all on our computers. There will be times where I will be sitting in the same room as someone and talk to them on AOL instead of opening my mouth to talk to them. This is extreem, I know, but it does happen. This goes along with text messages as well. My plan with my phone company now has more text messages than I do minutes because I feel I text more because I can get straight to the point.
Communication as a whole has spread more toward eletronics, with the new cell phones that are coming out with internet, a camera, an iPod and a phone all in one. People can track you even in the bathroom. My mom who has had a cell phone for over 5 years now, is still electronically incapable to do anything. She is now learning her ring so when I call her she can answer on the first call. She is a very normal mother who teaches 1st grade but because all of this technology is "past" her time, she is completely clueless. I can only imagine when I am her age what will make me clueless.

I do not know how to load my design onto the website, but here is a link: http://www.tabblo.com/studio/stories/view/232911/

Times they R a'changing...

So go to my tabblo already...

... See my Tabblo>

Do you Tabblo?

dsjflksdjfkld ... See my Tabblo>

For me I really use more text messaging lately than before. Since I've been hanging out with a new female friend, she loves to text message. I just think it's the worst form of communication. I mean I like it and I use it and it's growing on me but it's just completely stupid for the most part. Is it that hard to pick up the phone and talk to someone? They are both easy forms of communication I just prefer face to face communication. It just seems like more and more people are giving up on face to face communication and even more people are talking less on the phone and texting more.

I believe that communication has been more wide spread with the use of IM's and it's easier to talk to people from all over the world. However, I feel that friends and family are giving up seeing each other by sharing pictures and Im one another instead of making a stronger effort to see each other.

comic life + flicker = tragic life

I am ready to scream. I have been trying to get my comic to load to Flickr for the past 2 hours. At first the files exceeded Flickr's 5MB limit, so I separated all my frames into separate files. Now Flickr is saying "File was not a recognized type or was unable to be decoded." Did anybody else have this problem? Since it does not look very good, I've put my chopped-up, minorly successful comic into the Extended Entry section.

In "Into the Electronic Millenium", Birkerts tells us that "presentation structures the reception and, in time, the expectation about how information is organized." He goes on to talk about how "tag-line communication, called bite speak" has begun to emerge as a consequence of our changing relationship with media. (p.66) Lately I hear this kind of bite-speak more often, or maybe I'm just more attuned to it now. Sometimes I think Powerpoint has become our collective psychological communication template-- we've come to expect information to come in neat little pre-digested chunks. Even now, I'm just trying to get through all my points in as succinct a way as I can.

Landow writes, "The written record nonetheless marks a wonderful freezing of something otherwise evanescent." (Twenty Minutes into the Future p.220) There is a permanence to books that can be sort of frightening, but I think there's some value in being able to read history by a book's content, and by the book itself. I hate to think a day will come when we'll take it for granted that we need electricity/power to read a book, rather than just our eyes and some light. Books are for trading, for collecting; their outturned covers are both conversation starters and Do Not Disturb! signs, and they're cheap enough that anyone can own them.

I definitely use email as a way to avoid the telephone. I like the silence of it, and the ability to say everything without having to figure out whether it's my turn to talk. I like being able to respond thoroughly to something, and to be able to rethink my words before I send them out into the world. (I'm sure the speaking part of my brain is withering away.)

Continue reading "comic life + flicker = tragic life" »

Luddite or Future Shock?

Um, I tried, but I don't understand Tabblo. How are you supposed to add text to the &(&*(&*( text boxes?

Anyway, I was amused by both perspectives presented this week. Landow suggests today's college students do not value books. Would not the board books and well-designed and well-illustrated children's books have imprinted some value on this generation? I think so.

And things are not as dire as Birkerts would make it seem. There are always people who are willing to jettison the old (My brother got rid of his LPs in the early 90s. ALL of them.) and those that reach back into the past (Harlan Ellison still stubbornly types on a manual typewriter) I think the abundance of media has the potential to make us brighter, not dumber. Is network news better than 24 hour cable news? No. But that is all we would have if cable and the miracle mind of Ted Turner (or someone else who would have eventually thought of it) had not existed.

How internet technology has changed Kevin Bacon's life

Comic Strip

I have totally jumped on the text message bandwagon. Text messaging played a huge role in the intial interaction of my husband and my courtship. I don't have a lot of time in my day and sending a quick text to friends and family helps me stay connected.

I am completely opposed to eliminating books, even if people 20 years from now can't read "traditions of print literacy will gradually be replaced by a more telegraphically "plainspeak" (Birkert p.70)." I am also fearful of the possibility of Birkert's "language erosion" because we will lose out on the literary arts-gone will be the days of great writing.

Back to the Future

It is obvious that the way people communicate has changed. I remember back in grade school when we were sent to the library to check out books in order to do research for projects. However, as I got older, things began to change. Search engines like Google and Yahoo began to form and collect data. Students could now get all the information they needed just sitting there, listening to music and watching television. Kids became lazy and just used computers to get information.
In the case of the University, I don't know if libraries are going to be used for research anymore. The University has put everything they have online and if you want something you can rent it and pick it up. Soon I don't think books will even be in libraries. We'll use them for heat!
The American way is to be lazy and it is obvious that we are headed this way when we find it hard to walk ten or twenty minutes to the library. When a teacher asks for a scholarly source, we use Ebsco or Academic Search Premier to do the research for us. I think that people need to realize how important libraries really are and will regret it when they are gone.

... See my Tabblo>

In my Tabblo I tried to show how we as a culture are moving away from the use of libraries to the internet cafes. We are not willing to walk to a library and do reputable research. Instead we look at Ebscohost or Academic Search Premier and let the Internet do the research for us. It is almost un-American to use a library. If we use the library and not the internet we are looked at as old fashioned and not with the times. If this trend continues the only thing books will be good for is to burn (as in Fahrenheit 451).

It begs the question, "Should books even be printed?" Should we just start putting books online? It would help save trees and make it easier to access. But when publishers tried this there was a negative response. What do people want? Books are falling into the back, "Even on the crudest, most materialistic standard involving financial returns, we no longer find it at the center of our culture as the primary means of recording and disseminating information and entertainment" (Langow, 8) People want their news and information quick. Newspapers and news shows are dying out while the Internet and blogs have replaced how information is released to the public

However, this advancement in technology is not necessarily a bad thing. We are able to talk to people around the worlrd because the Internet's language is always the same. Although he is against this change, Berkerts puts it well when he states that, "the transition from the culture of the book to the culture of economic communication will radically alter the ways in which we use language on every societal level...traditions of print literacy will gradually be replaced by a more telegraphically "plainspeak" (70).

The world needs to realize while it is important to constantly improve technology, we should also realize the necessity of books and the usefulness they can bring.

Our lives our changed forever!

My life has been changed by technology dramatically. I use my cell phone to text people, I read much less from text books, I work on a computer all day to do marketing analytics, and I do not have as much free time to play! I think the way I communicate has changed as well. I am less inclined to call someone when I can just email them. Likewise, I am much more inclined to text someone if I do not feel like talking a whole lot.
I also think, in general, technology and the web has transformed individuals lifestyles to be less active. Because technology is inherently made to make life easier, it makes individuals less active and spend much more time sitting. This creates more problems.
Some other ways my communication has changed is the way I express myself online with friends and how I express myself in RL. I use a lot more shorthand and smiley faces to make sure people know the tone of my voice. It is really easy to mistakenly say something that sounds mean or happy when you really meant the opposite!
[For whatever reason, my comic will not upload to flickr. I have emailed it to Krista in hopes that she can figure out a way to post it.]

Acroventures

Acroventures Preview
Click on the image to see a bigger picture.
Or click here to download a PDF (The PDF is easier to read).

Read My Digital Lips

Wk10
Technology has dramatically changed the way I write. Not only do I use word processors, e-mail text editors, or instant messaging text editors to create documents and messages versus writing on a typewriter, but I now choose from a multitude of fonts, font sizes, and font colors to emphasize the words in ways only a typesetter could do before. As Landow (p.219) discusses, in this digital textuality I interact with the words I type on a screen instead of writing words on paper. The words do not exist anywhere but in the memory of the machine and in my mind. I only perceive the words as pixels that make up the illusion of text on my display.

Internet technologies have dramatically changed the way I communicate as well. At work I text message or e-mail colleagues. That’s as much part of the “open landscape? (cubicles) that we work in as much as anything else because you have to keep noise levels to a minimum. Talking is out, text messaging and e-mail is in. I use icons, emoticons, short hand, and hyperlinks a lot more now too. It’s sometimes difficult to convey emotion in text. Emoticons are a quick way to indicate to someone that you are angry for example, versus merely being facetious. These modes of communications are also faster (Tribble, p. 68) because I never have to remove my eyes from my computer display to dial or answer a phone. I find I’m able to do several tasks at once. For example, I can communicate with several individuals at once with several instant massaging windows open and do my work all at the same time.

A bold new tomorrow

Week 9

Tabblo, high tech haiku?

In the past, when I wanted to send a letter to another part of the world, my letter had to be carefully written either by hand or typewriter. Then I had to attach the proper postage. Then I had to find a mailbox...
... See my Tabblo>

<3 acronyms

First off, I'll admit to using more than my share of acronyms when it comes to the internet.  This is perhaps the most noticeable shift in behavior since communication over the internet became a normal mean of interaction.  When it comes to acronyms, "LoL" and "Rofl" are perhaps the most widely overused, and the infamous ascii art (which in itself is derived from technology) titled "roflcopter" and "lolerskates" stemmed from these overuses. ... See my Tabblo>

Tabblo: Yet Another Example

As I'm sure is the case for most people here, instant messaging has greatly impacted the way I communicate with family and friends online.  Nearly every time I'm online, I have AIM up in a window, and I talk to people.  Normally they're pretty informal discussions, with icons, abbreviations, and incomplete sentences being common, I still put some thought into the things that I post.  I also have Yahoo Messenger, and though I use it less often, it was still instrumental over winter break for allowing me to talk to my girlfriend for cheap over the phone while she was on vacation in Israel.

(Note: This is a totally random picture of AIM I found on Google images that has absolutely no relation to my screen name or the screen names of anyone I talk to.)
... See my Tabblo>

I have posted some of the ways I use the internet to communicate with text on my Tabblo, but I'm sure I could also include the Tabblo itself, as well as this blog. In many ways, these tools have vastly changed the way we take notes and keep records. I've noticed people mentioning passing paper notes in class in their blogs this week, and instant messaging in particular has become a modern version of that. I always think about those paper notes whenever I see someone tapping away at their cell phone keypad during class. But as Birkerts says in one of the articles for this week, the recent explosion of the use of the internet as a communications medium corresponds with language erosion (Birkerts, 70). It seems like wherever I go online, there are people who seem to have forgotten the basic rules of spelling and punctuation. In essence, the internet makes shorthand communication more necessary and easier in some cases with the use of icons and abbreviations. However, this isn't to say that language degredation always happens. After all, printed words are printed words, whether on paper or screen, and printed books are technology too (Landow, 218). In fact, in some ways computer technology can enhance text, as illustrated by Landow's example of the poem My Brother Was a Pilot, as recreated in Macromedia Director (222).

Communication Made Easy

The first step to writing a paper included a trip to the local library. Hopefully everyone else wasn't writing about same topic I picked! Like Landow, I "encountered hardcover textbooks and anthologies, paperbound books, and inexpensive hardbound editions, such as thouse issued by Modern Library, Everyman, and Oxford Classics." (page 215) ... See my Tabblo>

Continue reading "Communication Made Easy" »

Natural

One of Birkerts’ comments that hit home was his noting of the farmer plowing a field a “historical constant for millennia? will end up some day in a theme park.  Whether or not this is true is not my issue.  As a farmer, I agree that this was a historical constant for agrarian societies of the past (and a few do still remain), but is only seen in places like Minnesota’s state seal and Amish communities (who I would assume are never able to weigh in on topics published digitally).  But the advancement we have seen in the concept of plowing a field has been amazing over the past 100 years.  From a team of horses tearing up a field to John Deere created the first steel plow, and now tractors taking the brunt of the work, we have not only advanced technology, we have saved lives. 

... See my Tabblo>

Oh dear, Oh deer

Walter Ong has been studying media and communication for all of his life. In the beginning with the oral cultures, there was a different sense of time. There were no records and there weren’t any documents to go back to check. In the oral culture, the community was the basic unit of existence. Media Making – Mass Media in a Popular Culture Grossberg, Wartella, Whitney and Wise p35 Second Edition
The evolution of the written culture changed society where rules could be challenged and enforced. The literate were the leaders. The wealthy had the access to the printed material.

Continuing into the electronic culture was the birth of the telegraph. This allowed people to “transport? their thoughts and messages. This was immediate communication and the beginning of electronic media.

Similar to being tied to an oral discussion (time and place specific) or a written word or text, society began using the internet for transactional business and communication. But we were still tied to a modem and a computer. The written words we were able to access were just images from a server. Landrow’s article (p217) raises an interesting point about the benefit of the touch in a document. His example was of a finely detailed map compared to the same image on a computer screen. The pros for the map were the detail that may be lost on a computer but the pros for the computer were the ability to go interactive. Pick a spot on the map and dig deeper into the history. Find your way in a subway or train station with the touch of a finger. But I find the argument about the detail on a printed map appearing cleaner than a computer map as a little outdated. With the higher resolution monitors now we are able to duplicate the details to any specification.

It wasn’t practical to manufacture a portable computer given the size necessary for the memory and monitor. The introduction of the laptop alleviated the portability issue but we were still tied to a phone line and the necessary ISP’s. We had freedom to transport but we still had to be tied to an “umbilical? cord.

Once again technology has raced ahead with a myriad of wireless devices. We can pay for soda from a machine with a debit chip in our phone and we will soon be inserting a memory stick into the handle of the grocery cart for our shopping lists. It won’t be long before we look back and laugh at how we had to search for “hot spots? to get a quality signal.

Oh dear, Oh deer, what will they think of next!

Evolution of Writing

Writing has definitely changed over the past years.  When I was a kid in school, the main way to communicate while class was in session was to write a note.  By write a note, I mean taking a loose piece of paper, writing on it, folding it into the smallest triangle possible, and either passing it or throwing it to its intended receiver.    When I was in middle school, I wrote a fair amount of notes during class, and any one who has ever written a note knows that the hardest part is getting it to that person without the teacher noticing.  With this process, the chance for interception was always a major risk.

... See my Tabblo>

From pen to text

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Click to see Nicole's Tabblo

Tabblo!

This week is focused on how technology has changed the way I write. I did however stick a couple images about music and movies on the internet and Youtube. I believe we have spoken on this before and I thought it was an important aspect of my internet life so I put them there.

In regards to how technology has changed the way I write and communicate. New technologies for these subjects come about all of the time, and it seems like to me they always create a new way for me to communicate with others. That or they tend to make things a whole lot faster or more convenient. I think for me the biggest thing is not the fact that these technologies improve my forms of communication, but that they increase it. A snail-mail letter can say essentially the same thing an email can (disregarding any HTML or the like), but it sure takes longer. Because of this increased efficiency and speed I have increased the quantity of "mails" that I have sent to others by numbers in the thousands per year. To say this is not relevant is to ignore a crucial change during the late 20th and early 21st centuries. This is also the case with other forms such as cell phones, which has increased the percent of time that I am on the phone with someone by huge numbers.

I am not entirely sure if I did this part correctly but I will post my Tabblo anyways.

The picture below is an example of a word document which can
solve this problem. This is so monumental that many professors only
accept typed homework in their classes. ... See my Tabblo>

Faking the books

Here comes my tabblo.

I completely agree with the Birkerts aticle. I don't think it is a technophobic behaviour to claim that the era of the printed text is slowly dying and to be sad about that. I share most of Birkerts idea but I am myself a big user of computer and electronic things in general.

It was quite ironic to read this article on a computer screen! I haven't been a great reader during my whole life but I have to admit that since I have started reading more and more books, I find that there is nothing to compare between reading a printing book and reading on a screen. First, I don't know about you but purely physically, I have to make many breaks or my eyes gets worse and worse and almost painful. Then, I think that I am much more concentrated into my reading when I'm turning the pages, touching the paper, all that experience about going through a book that Birkerts explains in the article.
I don't think that Landow argument to counter that is very accurate. He talks about this person who "displayed Ben Johnson's own copie of Euclid...". You don't have to hold a priceless book to feel special. I am generally very attached even to a cheap book that I have bought or that I have been offered.

And to finish on a complete esthetic argument : look how a library is more beaufiful than a hard disk!
... See my Tabblo>

A First Foray into Tabblo's

With the onset of the digital age, our American society is more and more dependent on the infrastructure of our vast computer networks, for instance in satilittes and equipment like this dish here. As a result, the physical objects that the digital codes represent are being pushed aside, for instance with music and, our subject here, books. ... See my Tabblo>