A First Stab at the Podcast Revolution

powered by ODEO

I apologize this is so late, I was having some trouble getting everything to work. A good first experience!

The podcast as a tool.

Here it is to download.

I'm going to figure out how to embed this and get it posted. But the download is there for now.

Kate Rambles about Podcasts

powered by ODEO

Silent Blathering

Hi everyone. I tried to do the podcast as well to no avail. What do they say about radio? "You have a face for radio."? I guess I have a voice for silent movies. I don't think my work computer has a mic, but Odeo did not NOT detect one, so I am stumped.

I liked the comment that spurred Mr. Curry (the first lame host of Headbanger's Ball?) to pocasting glory, "..what people really want is the ability to take the Internet away with you and listen to it on headphones." Podcasting seems to be kind of a guerilla on-demand radio; low-tech (though too high-tech for me, evidentally!), low-cost, under-the-radar of the FCC (which must be frustrating for them--I'm looking at my watch to see when they will step in), and through its nimbleness, very versatile.

Drawbacks? For me, sound is not what draws me to a computer, and is not what I would sink good money into. So I don't think it is a good use of this particular medium. I'm stuck with thinking of computers as a visual medium. Maybe because I don't have an iPod, I don't see the value of downloading to another vessel that will sound better. As my 16 year-old-nephew has said, "If you want to talk to someone, just call them on the phone!"

Educationally, I think podcasting would be especially good for language (no more having to go to nasty language labs of my college years) and English literature, as the article by Campbell suggests. I guess I fail to see the point of having a professor discuss outside reading in a podcast when I am on my way to her class, as the student in the Campbell article was doing. From the administrative side of things, I am kind of skeptical. It is hard enough to get professors to provide us with usable syllabi each term, which, by the way, are the single best and least expensive ad for any course. Could we ask them to also post blogs or podcasts?

I do like the idea of expanding the 'reach' of the classroom with podcasts and other course materials. Does that make education less personal? Yes, but I think that is preferable for some students, especially when the information is free. Go MIT! When I was starting my undergrad here, there was controversy about a beginning psychology course that featured videotaped lectures from the professor. Now there are dozens of distance learning courses, with taped lectures from the teachers.

I have listened to podcasts posted on Bravo websites or from the BBC. Sometimes it is kind of relaxing to listen and work on something else at the same time. Radio does have its allure, and Campbell did have good points about making engaged listening a skill. Will I be going to the trouble to subscribe podcasts or transfer downloaded podcasts from my computer to the MP3 player that I do not as yet possess? I will when my computer sounds as good as my boombox.

Something’s in the AIR!

I have also been having problem with my podcast over the few days so I gave up and decided to write out my thoughts instead. So, here it is;

Podcast is a great way for individuals to access course lectures and enhance their education. As it is shared with everyone, not only classmates learn but others who have never before. Like mentioned in the paper, “There’s something in the Air,? after Jenny heard the speech from the professor, she wanted to join the course because how it impacted her and also shared the education to others such as her parents. This could potentially better the education of others, although I would not prefer it as a primary means of accessing course lectures. Perhaps if it is used as a secondary course lecture and students can overview lectures again later on if they have missed the lecture. I liked how the article stated “not to give away intellectual property but to plant seeds of interest and to demonstrate the lively and engaging intellectual community created by its faculty in each course.? (Campbell, Gardner. There’s something in the air.) Why wouldn’t it enhance people’s education when they can listen over and over again through different methods; ipod, headphones, computers, and all done on their personal time. I think it would be a great idea if some of our courses materials were offered via podcast.

After reviewing MIT, it too is a great thing to educate others even if they choose not to get a degree in the materials. It does mean the access of free and a non-paying learning but that gives the opportunity for many others to perhaps pursue the degree in the future.

The Podcasting world doesn't want my input!

Hey everyone~

Well, I've tried and tried, and for some reason can not get Odeo to work. When ever I hit the record button, my internet browser just freezes up. I've tried both Internet explorer and FireFox. I've also tried serveral different computers. So, I noticed a few of you are doing things the old fashioned way, and just writing your feelings in regard to podcasting. Like most of you, I think that podcasting is really a great and new technology. As Annalee Newitz quotes Adam Curry, "People want to download blog content, and listen to it on their head-phones." I completely agree with this comment in the sense that PodCasts really do allow people more power in terms of what they want to hear, and when they want to hear it. It's a great tool for people with busy life-styles to use in the sense that they can download something they like, and listen to it whenever it is most convenient for them.

However, while it is obvious that Podcasting has really taken off as of recently, I do not think it will remain a sustainable technology over the next 10 years. The main reason for my thinking is that people like to see content as well as hear it. As technology becomes more and more advanced, this option becomes more and more feasable. For instance, it is only a matter of time before 95% of the population has some type of content enabled "screen" on them at all times. Once this happens, I believe that the option of video will decrease the amount of podcasts immensly. A similar trend would be how we went from radio to television. Now, if any of you disagree with this, don't be too harsh! :) This is just my opinion of what is to come, and I'll be the first one to admitt that I could be completely wrong!

I'm coming out of my Pod!

This was quite an experience. It helped that I created a script for my podcast. It's really amazing how people can talk for such a long period of time on a single subject. I think Campbell puts it well when he says, "the implications of Apple�s embrace of podcasting are both exciting and troubling. The development is exciting because students will have a free, easy-to-use, dual-platform (Windows and Mac) audio-content manager that will help make podcasting pervasive and effective."

powered by ODEO

attack of the pod people

powered by ODEO

Presenting! My first (and very likely last) podcast of life.

Podcasting...why not?

My odeo podcast didn't work.. so I'm just going to comment a little about podcasting. Podcasting is becoming more and more popular everyday. I believe that offering schools online via podcasting is a good idea. I think the idea of getting information this was is just like taking this online class. You learn a lot and it's becoming more and more popular. I think that you get more out of it. I think it's sometimes a better alternative than not going to class. A lot of people have busy lifestyles with work and all and that's what makes taking courses this way so much easier. I feel like I learn more because it's on my time to do the work. I know that I have to do it and I will do it. Where as if you have to be in class at 8am everyday, your bound to miss a few days.

From reading the article, Still, “ease of publication? may overstate the case just a bit. A few intricacies that lie behind the notion of publishing a podcast deserve consideration. One is that you have to produce a podcast before you can publish it. It is true that one can produce a podcast very simply. So is publishing a podcasting considerd a real publication? I think that it does show validity.

I Love pods....and there fun to listen to!

This was definitely my first time podcasting. I found it quite interesting and entertaining. Now how I conducted this podcast was to have my buddy interview me and ask me some of the more pertinent questions for this weeks blog. I conducted it in this manner because it feels a little more natural to have someone asking me the questions rather than just address them. So hopefully this works and have fun!!!!

powered by ODEO

iCasts

powered by ODEO

iCasts

powered by ODEO

Podcasts aren't just for iPods?

powered by ODEO

Podosphere Blues

This week, for some variety, and since we had some extra time, I decided to write a song about podcasting. It is called "It Might Take Awhile for Me to Warm Up to You, Podosphere"
Also, here's a link to the mp3 because ODEO's been a bit temperamental.

Here are the lyrics (besides what I ad-libbed at the last moment):

I used to think podcasting implied ipod and sort it does
But I agree with Gardner Campbell that the term is unjust
This misdirected belief has kept me up to this point
From looking to podcasting as fad I’d like to join

The wired article by Anallee Newitz
Spoke of the podosphere’s humanistic nuance
Close-knitted and personal, something we miss on pay-per-view
But for a newcomer, inside jokes could be lost and unfunny
To what are they referring? It might take a while for me to warm up to you

Podosphere

Another point of stress in the Wired online press
Was that podcasts could go anywhere I want to go
But I don’t have an i-pod, and I don’t have a zune
So to me it’s still just stuck inside my room
It might take awhile for me to warm up to you

Podosphere

Steve jobs you must be grinning now
Adam Curry you must be grinning now
But I feel sorta left out

powered by ODEO

Podcasting and the future of radio

powered by ODEO

It was only a matter of time

A school has banned iPods in class to combat cheating during tests. The article follows.

Mike

Schools banning iPods to beat cheaters

By REBECCA BOONE, Associated Press Writer
Fri Apr 27, 5:23 AM ET

Banning baseball caps during tests was obvious — students were writing the answers under the brim. Then, schools started banning cell phones, realizing students could text message the answers to each other. Now, schools across the country are targeting digital media players as a potential cheating device.

Devices including iPods and Zunes can be hidden under clothing, with just an earbud and a wire snaking behind an ear and into a shirt collar to give them away, school officials say.

"It doesn't take long to get out of the loop with teenagers," said Mountain View High School Principal Aaron Maybon. "They come up with new and creative ways to cheat pretty fast."

Mountain View recently enacted a ban on digital media players after school officials realized some students were downloading formulas and other material onto the players.

"A teacher overheard a couple of kids talking about it," said Maybon.

Shana Kemp, spokeswoman for the National Association of Secondary School Principals, said she does not have hard statistics on the phenomenon but said it is not unusual for schools to ban digital media players.

"I think it is becoming a national trend," she said. "We hope that each district will have a policy in place for technology — it keeps a lot of the problems down."

Using the devices to cheat is hardly a new phenomenon, Kemp said. However, sometimes it takes awhile for teachers and administrators, who come from an older generation, to catch on to the various ways the technology can be used.

Some students use iPod-compatible voice recorders to record test answers in advance and them play them back, said 16-year-old Mountain View junior Damir Bazdar.

Others download crib notes onto the music players and hide them in the "lyrics" text files. Even an audio clip of the old "Schoolhouse Rock" take on how a bill makes it through Congress can come in handy during some American government exams.

Kelsey Nelson, a 17-year-old senior at the school, said she used to listen to music after completing her tests — something she can no longer do since the ban. Still, she said, the ban has not stopped some students from using the devices.

"You can just thread the earbud up your sleeve and then hold it to your ear like you're resting your head on your hand," Nelson said. "I think you should still be able to use iPods. People who are going to cheat are still going to cheat, with or without them."

Still, schools around the world are hoping bans will at least stave off some cheaters.

A teacher at San Gabriel High School in West Covina, Calif., confiscated a student's iPod during a class and found the answers to a test, crib notes and a definition list hidden among the teen's music selections. Schools in Seattle, Wash., have also banned the devices.

The practice is not limited to the United States: St. Mary's College, a high school in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada, banned cell phones and digital medial players this year, while the University of Tasmania in Australia prohibits iPods, electronic dictionaries, CD players and spell-checking devices.

Conversely, Duke University in North Carolina began providing iPods to its students three years ago as part of an experiment to see how the devices could be used to enhance learning.

The music players proved to be invaluable for some courses, including music, engineering and sociology classes, said Tim Dodd, executive director of The Center for Academic Integrity at Duke. At Duke, incidents of cheating have declined over the past 10 years, largely because the community expects its students to have academic integrity, he said.

"Trying to fight the technology without a dialogue on values and expectations is a losing battle," Dodd said. "I think there's kind of a backdoor benefit here. As teachers are thinking about how technology has corrupted, they're also thinking about ways it can be used productively."

Podcast... not such a blast!

Hi everyone. Well this weeks approach to discussing the content was quite interesting and frusterating at the same time. Lets just say I didn't have the easiest time with my first podcast experience! So hopefully this works. =0)

Subscribe Free
Add to my Page

No longer a virgin blogger..no longer a virgin podcaster

This week has been a technological challenge but I think I have succeeded! I now have accounts at Odeo, Gcast, switchpod. I have downloaded Audacity (Great tool!) and LAME.

Who would have thought I would have been embedding a podcast into a blog.

Mike

powered by ODEO

A factory that produces apple pies for whales?!?!

What I’ve learned this week…I am not as computer savvy as I thought I was. I have never made a podcast before and at this point I still have never made a podcast! But trust me I’ve been trying! I just don’t get it. I don’t have a microphone so the directions didn’t help me much, I’ve heard you can do it using the phone…but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet. I’m going to try again later, but for now I have finals to study for. In hopes that I will get a couple points I’m going to do this old fashion style.

The whole idea of podcasting intrigues me. I’ve heard about other universities incorporating podcasts into their classes. I think it is a great idea. As a commuter student it would make it so much easier to be able to watch lectures online as opposed to driving 30 minutes to and from campus to sit for a 50 minute lecture. It would also be so awesome to be able to listen to certain lecture material over again to fully retain the information. It would make my drive to and from school much more productive. I don’t think podcasts would diminish the value of university education, but instead enhance it. Podcasting is just another way to reach out to people with different learning styles. I think we should embrace new technology in our classrooms.

I think it is awesome that MIT is offering course material to the public free of charge. Some people are just looking to further their education and since you can not get a degree from taking these classes or use them to get a job I don’t think it dilutes the value of a university education. It is possible for some people to want to learn just to learn. If you are simply interested in learning something you can on there and learn it at your own pace on your own time. I think this site would also be a great tool to use as a study aid.

All in all I think this whole podcasting thing is cool…I just wish I could figure out how to make one!

An iPod Rado Star? No Thanks!

Wow! Finally got it. In my excitement of finally getting the podcast to work, I forgot to change my category. Sorry about the double entry,,,,

Continue reading "An iPod Rado Star? No Thanks!" »

My first ever attempt at podcasting

Wow, I sound so amateurish. Anyway, here it is. I think I must've redone the recording about 5 or 6 times I was so nervous. Oh well, enjoy.

All Things Pod (racing, people, I, etc.)

Hi all
Here's my podcast. I had a hard time dealing with Odeo. You can't upload files to them. I tried Switchpod. It seems to work! Well I hope you enjoy my ramblings.

http://www.switchpod.com/users/blenderski/InternetTools.mp3

Hi all

My Odeo Podcast

Hi all
Here's my podcast. I had a hard time dealing with Odeo. You can't upload files to them. You also can't link to a podcast on another site like Switchpod. VERY FRUSTRATING!! So far I've tried a bunch a different settings and operations. I give up. It might be easy for people with microphones, but it's a royal pain trying to link up to a podcast on another site.

I tried Switchpod. It seems to work! Well I hope you enjoy my ramblings.

Podcast : Casting quite the spell on the populace.

Here is my podcast. I thought this week was really entertaining.
I believe this is how you post it on the blog:
My Odeo Podcast

Or if you would like the direct link I think this will work:

powered by ODEO

iPodcast!

powered by ODEO

Radio activities

http://www.switchpod.com/users/dj_crok/podclass.mp3

I hope it will work...

Pierre

Podcasting Killed the Radio Star

First time podcasting! I have never subscribed to a Podcast- but probably will in the future.

powered by ODEO

William's News:My Views

My First Podcast
I didn't embed it because switchpod has it on autoplay... I hope it works for everyone.

Podcasting Unplugged- Global Network Style!

Continue reading "Podcasting Unplugged- Global Network Style!" »

Debate for the few?

In today's Star Tribune there was an article about the 2008 election. Go figure...

There is a new media partnership between the political blog Huffington Post, Yahoo and Slate Magazine. This group will host online-only debates for the Democrats and Republicans early next fall. These debates will begin sometime after Labor Day with PBS host Charlie Rose as the moderator. Voters can submit questions or the can blog in real-time to share their views and opinions.

We are seeing the huge growth of streaming media and this is another example of the attempt to go mainstream with a cyber event.

What about society without computers? Or the necessary tools needed to listen to a streaming debate? Are the technology laden, young cutting edge PC and Mac users the core voters in a presidential election? Only time will tell.

It may be a debate heard by a few...

Mike