« Media or misanthropy? | Main | Removed from isolation »

Aaron Sorkin weighs in

I have a longer entry in the works, but I came across this quote by The West Wing writer/creator, Aaron Sorkin. Seemed applicable to the course. What do you think?

"I am all for everyone having a voice; I just don't think everyone has earned the microphone. And that's what the Internet has done."

Thank you for that very interesting quote. I share Sorkin's support for participatory, democratic information technology. I think the concept of Wikipedia for example, is wonderful. At the same time, it's frustrating to realize that is not very reliable. And I say this knowing that "official" sources of information aren't completely accurate or free of bias either. On the other hand, I also believe that humans create meaning and truth and both are therefore relative to the degree of consensus around them. Maybe the Internet is confronting us head on with how slippery notions of truth and meaning are??

Hello Jennifer. That is a very profound statement. It made me think of the year Time Magazine elected person of the year as you meaning us/the people. Check out: http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20061225,00.html

One of the main reasons why Time named you person of the year was because of the internet applications like YouTube where regular/non-celebrities could get noticed by anyone. I do agree that anyone could post anything online which allows anyone to voice their own opinion; however, I also agree that different voices spoken over the internet are not heard equally. Website hits measure the flow of traffic and who reads/views another person's blurb online. Some have more hits than others. So, going back to the quote: "I am all for everyone having a voice; I just don't think everyone has earned the microphone. And that's what the Internet has done." . . . Yes, anyone could post anything online, but their voice may or may not be heard. Other people choose who they want to listen to and who they don't.

Thank you.