« and away we go. | Main | A chance to be a nerd, for credit! »

Cyberesque Greetings From David

From my living room at home, I send greetings to all who are taking this course, stumble across the blog by accident or are simply looking over the shoulder of another reader. My name is David and I am an IT student studying electrical engineering. I have an associate of arts degree in graphic design/communications, specialized in 3D animation from my first attempt at college. I have since completed 2 years and most of my MNTC at Normandale Community College specifically for electrical engineering. This will be my first semester at the UofM:IT.

My experience with computers and the internet is fairly vast. I generally grew up with video games in the house. We had everything from a commodore 64 to a genesis, but it wasn't until our first computer (an apple 6800 power pc), that I took to electronics with great ferocity. A combination of AOL instant messenger, a drive to modify every bit of software available and new programs being offered at school gave me the skills I needed to become proficient with digital media at a rapid rate.

After high school, I tried my hand in software engineering and programming. I decided I would rather do graphics, so I spent 2 years at Brown College finishing up a graphic design degree specialized in 3D animation. I soon realized that if I wanted a job in that field, I would have to move to a coast or work as a janitor for a design company for 12 years. Ultimately, I didn't want to do either. I got a job working for Kinkos and got married to my wife, Ellie.

The first few years of our marriage, she was finishing school and I was working. Once she finished, I was able to quit my job with Kinkos and pursue my education in electrical engineering. Now I am 2½ years into school with about 2 years left to finish my B.E.E.

I have participated in many forums over the years as well as beta testing for various computer games. I have written reviews on pieces of software, both retail and open source. I also have a fairly extensive programming background, though I don’t practice it enough to keep myself fresh and proficient. My passions generally lie in gaming and game related environments.

I have to say that I found the readings interesting and almost directly along my way of thinking. I've always thought that, in order for a society to truly succeed, a few things have to happen. First, human greed would have to be greatly reduced, if not abolished. Second, mass collaboration would have to become widespread, accurate, and be held to a highly ethical standard. This isn't to say that people would spend their lives working as in the modern capitalistic framework, but to an extent that progress is achieved. Finally, competition would have to be minimized. That said, competition does play an important role, but I say this only to the extent that people aren't wasting time determining the best way to bring about the demise of their opponents. Competition does help to keep people honest as well as weed out the poorly executed from the well executed procedures, but it should be used by the "winner" to help the "loser" to become better or find a path more suited to their skills.

In correlation to the Connect! book, my ideals have always been to work remotely without a corporate officer looking over your shoulder constantly. I, personally, work far more effectively and productively when I am not under the constant watchful eye of my superiors. It has always appeared to be a huge waste of time when an employee is trying to achieve some goal and their boss is standing next to them, doing nothing productive themselves, watching every move made, but doing nothing to help. This idea further applies to the current corporate cubicle. No human does well in a cage, whether it be a prison cell, grounding to a room as a kid, or a cubicle at work. Many people become bored, unmotivated, and unwilling to work to their full potential when they are forced into a 9-5, office meeting, computer terminal, cube for a third of their life. I do hope this model is forced into change by the idea of global collaboration and connectedness. The technology has spawned the ability for people to work the same amount or more, but at a pace far more comfortable and accommodating to themselves and their lifestyles. But the old corporate officials are slow to change and relinquish the power they have worked their whole lives to achieve. It will take some time and retirements before significant change can be made at the corporate level, but if we all contribute a little here and there, I feel the change will come sooner than later.

Well, I've rambled for a little more than I had anticipated. I am finding the Wikinomics and Connect! books to be decent reads and quite close to my way of thinking.

All in all, I am looking forward to this course and to working with each of you. Digital media has been my "thing" for the past 15 years or so and I hope I can share and contribute effectively toward this collaborative effort being put forth by each of us.

I thank you for your time in reading this.

The following image was something I simply found amusing on a gaming site that relates to one of sections in the Connect! book, so I decided to link it. Enjoy!

Photobucket

You've totally inspired me to add a Comics section to our sidebar. So far we've got xkcd and ctrl+alt+delete. What else should be over there?