« Currently connected: Local and Internet | Main | SOCIAL Networking = WORK Networking = LIFE Networking »

Facebook and the Corporate World...

I’ve been on Facebook for awhile now, I first logged in shortly after coming back to college. However, I have never found it to be very useful, those friends I keep in contact with I can usually talk to in person in the time it would normally take for them to get a message through Facebook. Problems with connectivity and over all technological issues with connecting to an online environment have always made offline storage methods of important information preferable. I have too many times almost missed class deadlines or been unable to connect to quickly check something before leaving for class for me to fully trust a web application to keep track of the contact information of people important to me. Unlike Zelenka, I don’t believe Facebook would be a useful tool for social networking outside of first meeting a person online. A persons Facebook page could then help someone get a sense of the person they are talking to in a way that isn’t usually possible with online communication. This would require people to be honest and not just fill the page with what they think people would like to hear or else the false impression would only hinder actual social interactions. Unlike Facebook I do agree with Zelenka that instant messengers can be an invaluable tool to help with social networking in a work environment to allow quick un-invasive communication between people in the same building and across the world. However, if the clicking of your keyboard is loud enough to become distracting to people in a conference call as Zelenka warns (Connect!, p. 160), then it seems that you probably have your microphone settings too sensitive or your keyboard should be replaced.

I agree with you somewhat that Facebook interactions should have their limits, because up to a certain point it is probably unhealthy for someone to communicate online more than having actual conversation face to face. I do not agree with the fact that people would fill their page with what other people would want or hope to see them as, because your page is an opportunity for you to set yourself apart from others, why would someone conform to that nonsense?

Hello Anthony, reading your post made me think of this Sunday afternoon when I was at my aunt and uncle's. My cousins, who are around the same age, were there as well as my sister and brother-in-law. We were talking about Facebook. One of my cousins said the same as what you had written: "those friends I keep in contact with I can usually talk to in person." In addition to your comment: "Problems with connectivity and over all technological issues with connecting to an online environment have always made offline storage methods of important information preferable."--I had a tech problem this evening. . . . After leaving my aunt and uncle's and going to Caribou Coffee to work online, I had logged onto MySpace for the first time in weeks. As I was accessing and going through the site, I got this message that my account has been phished. Wikipedia's definition of phishing is: "In computing, phishing is an attempt to criminally and fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication" Because of that, MySpace had blocked my account until I changed the password. I talked with a tech friend of mine, and he advised me to be safe to change all of my passwords to every login I have. :(