« So, you're a cowboy astronaut millionaire? Welcome aboard. | Main | Seeing with a new perspective »

My Life in Technology and the Web

Hello all, I’m a senior in the S&TC major. I am a returning student to college life after a three year break to experience “the real world?. As of this moment I’m not positive exactly what I want to do upon graduation other then some form of technical writing. My hobbies and methods of relaxation involve books, movies, video games, and writing. As of this moment I am un-published but have several short stories that I hope to get published after they are finished.

My life in technology started when I was young and our family got our first Apple II computer giving me several years of experience using Dos and command line interfaces. I’ve built my own computers and have some minor experience in programming in Pascal, and Java. I’ve been using the internet since its instigation to the public domain starting with a few bulletin boards and eventually MUD’s. However, my experiences with Web 2.0 applications are limited. I have heard of many of the web applications that Zelenka mentioned on page 29 and 30 of her book, but have only used Gmail and Hotmail. I have a face book page and a live journal page, but do not check them or update them with any kind of frequency.

I love and hate the internet. I love the access it gives me to the world and those people that live in other areas of the world. There is no other place that I know of where you can get into a live and animated discussion with people all over the world from Minnesota, to Maine, to Norway, and Australia and everyplace in between about any topic of conversation that interests you. A person in Minnesota can shop in a store that is only located in Florida. This aside I also hate the internet for what it can do to people. It is very difficult to avoid the type of impatience and anger one feels when your normally fast connection to the world at large slows down or crashes leaving you feeling disconnected from all the information and people that you have become attached over your time spent online.

The sort of wide connectivity you describe is one of the things I also love about the Net. It's so odd and wonderful to think that I have long-standing friends I've never met in Boston and London, for instance.

I second an affection for wide-connectivity. Often this connectivity gets derided - it's too easy to "check up" on people, and a Facebook birthday greeting has replaced a phone call or card. I find this ideal, though - because I tend to be a lone-ranger type, I'm terrible at communication. I'm able to quickly touch base through e-mail or social networking platforms, and I can catch up on friends' lives through their blogs. This doesn't replace the personal, one-on-one communication I have them, but allows us to have more time for deeper conversations since the "so what's going in with your life?" is somewhat taken care of already.

Hi Anthony, I loved reading your post! When you wrote, "I am a returning student to college life after a three year break to experience “the real world?. As of this moment I’m not positive exactly what I want to do upon graduation other then some form of technical writing."--I thought to myself: "I took a break between undergrad and grad. What a coincidence with the breaks!" Regarding what to do upon graduation, I feel somedays I totally know where I want to be and other days, I say to myself dramatically speaking, "What am I going to do with my life?" I think it's an on-going life-long process but you'll get there. I think this class will definitely help give us the edge in technology.

Also when you mentioned Apple II, I totally had flashbacks of my childhood. I remember playing Oregon Trail on Apple II. That definitely gave me good ol' memories. Wow, has technology changed since then!