« A chance to be a nerd, for credit! | Main | This class is very timely for me... »

Practice makes perfect.

O.K., I think I have just found out how to add to this blog. I am not quite sure how I found it but I will continue to practice, practice, practice.

I am relatively new to the Tech Comm world. I like to write but had no idea I could make money from it. My first passion was to follow in my parents footsteps and become a nurse. But, I had a job at AT&T I could not leave because of the 25 years invested in my pension (30 years is soon to come...yee haw!). I am now working on my second career.

I am no techno geek but I am familiar with the internet and intranet. I have dabbled in Facebook and My Space, Wikipedia, and my son's blog (now there is a techno geek). As I started the readings, the fear-inducing questions that popped into my head was what is a Wiki, Flickr, del.iicio.us, and Twitter. After reading the first chapter of "Wikinomics" I now have at least a basic understanding of what a Wiki is. I looked on the websites for the other items and am now consuming myself with trying to figure them out. This may be a slow process for me, but I am gung-ho about it all.

I can relate to Peter Druckers definition of Knowledge worker. I work for a Fortune 500 company. I abide by their rules and regulations. I am only allowed to use the resources they deem fit for us. While there are a few web-based applications we use, they are predefined and include a firewall. All of our information is proprietary and we have the busyness of step-by step processes in place. Everything revolves around time and money (Zelenka, 2008, p. 3).

I am aspiring to become Om Maliks Web Worker. In addition to the knowledge work I will continue to accumulate through my 30 years with my current employer and my schooling, being able to interact on a global basis on my own schedule is extremely appealing. Having a search engine at my fingertips bestows upon me the power to create what I want to create when I want to create it (keeping in mind there are deadlines to hold up to).

Even though I am used to doing "busy" work, I want to be busy in a bursty way. I am very capable of forming relationships and doing so in a new way---via the web---excites me. Sharing my work along the way, as in the story of the goldmining company, opens possibilities for enhancing my knowledge and possibly my future earnings. How many times have I thought, "you know, if I could just get someone to see this idea I have, what could be done with it?". The openness of Wiki's makes it possible to share those ideas with people from many walks of life and many geographical locations.

So, as Krista said, and away we go!

Hi Amber, I had trouble with accessing this blog, too. It took me the longest time to figure out how to read entries. Like you, I will continue to practice, practice, practice. I definitely agree with you that practice makes perfect. I really like that saying, and I think that saying pushes people to do their best. I want to perfect in using the web and applying my knowledge in accessing the web. Like you, one of my first passions was health-related. I was pre-med but I was not that type of student that was able to just do well without studying; moreover, I had too much fun. Nevertheless, the job market is becoming more and more web-based. So learning about technology and practicing what we learn will help us tremendously.

Hi Amber! I can totally relate to not knowing how to add to the blog. I am slowly getting familiar with this and am comforted that I am not the only one. Being a knowledge worker myself I am familiar with having to abide by rules and regulations. I hope too that you become busy in a bursty way and learn from this course.

Hey Amber,

I have to disagree with the notion of "practice makes perfect". It should be replaced with "practice makes permanent". My reasoning behind this is that you could undertake a task and learn it one way and perform it well under that way whether or not it is indeed correct. An example of this would be when I taught myself the bass guitar. I picked it up for the first time with my hands in a certain position and, while the notes came out, ultimately my ability to effectly play the bass was greatly hindered. I could play a few things, but not without great difficulty. Another example of ineffective practice could be if someone mislearned something like the math tables. If you learned 2+2=4, that would be correct, but what if you learned 2+2=5? It would have become permanent through repeated use, but far from perfect or correct. Luckily, humans are able to learn from their mistakes, though, many times it is difficult to do.

Anyway, that is my view on that saying, whether right or wrong.