« Not the best forum perhaps, but... | Main | Virtual bookmarking »

Clearing My Confusion

I have become overwhelmed because there is so much on the web we can use for bookmarking and "social interaction". I put quotations around social interactions because of the lack of face-to-face interactions done through the web instead of its pre-web meaning of meeting in person. This idea intrigues and confuses me. I am a social person; I like the social interaction of meeting new people, being able to see their eyes, reading verbal and non-verbal queues. In an online world, this is not possible. Of course a picture can say a thousand words, but not the words that are necessary to really know whom you are talking to.

While reading through our chapter, "Surf Waves of Information" in Zalenka, I am coming to the conclusion that I do not have to give up this face-to-face communications, I can enhance it. First, our class set up our Facebook, and then we set up Twitter, now we are using del.icio.us, this all adds up to brainstorming in the virtual sense of the word. Like a well-tuned group of workers, we can accomplish virtually most of what we could accomplish if we were together in one room. Zelenkas idea about orienting (Zelenka, pp 118-120) is outstanding for this setting. I think I am in love with del.icio.us. Well, not really in love with it, my boyfriend might have an issue with that, but am feeling the pull towards using it more and more. It seems indispensable for any class that requires a research paper, or for brainstorming new ideas for marketing. This last idea is defined as what wikinomics really is: openness, peering, sharing, and acting globally (Tapscott & Williams, 2006, p. 99). The idea of ideagoras is perfect for this application. Even though, in my own little world, I may be a little afraid to go globally, even using it with a group of people I work with to get some new ideas to enrich a solution to a problem would be good.

One fallback to an ideagora would be the amount of solutions that may pour in. The sifting through of all the material submitted may become too time consuming and costly. However, just think about this...maybe that is where we, as Tech Writers, come in. Hmmm...a new market will arise and make us rich!! Just kidding, but it would not be a bad place to start looking for work. As stated in "Wikinomics", "Science and technology now evolve at such a great speed that even the largest companies can no longer research all the fundamental disciplines that contribute to their products" (Tapscott & Williams, 2006, p 101). It further states that they cannot control their end-to-end production process nor retain their talent inside their company, but that may be another supporting point in the work we could do online as tech writers. Pushing the envelope to "...lower the costs of communicating, collaborating, and transacting...".

Amber,
I would like to let you know that I agree with your post. I am a social person too and am used to face-to-face interactions. The web has created such a whole new meaning to social interaction. You can literally interact with persons whom you have never met before. I had never heard of Facebook or Twitter prior to taking this class and although I was a little nervous to use it at first, I am slowly embracing it. I have to say that I didn't think this class would be like this. I can see how we can become familiar with one another over the web and get new ideas to a solution rather than just our own.

Amber... you are absolutely right. I used to think the same thing. I like to be face to face with a person. It is more intimate. But technologies are changing and now there are web cams video talk feeds and everything else that will still allow you to embrace the concept of face to face interaction. If you don't have AIM 6.0, you should really download it. There is a talk button that is incredible.

I'm not a S&TC writer but I had the same idea as you about new job possibilities! I love learning about new things in general. Maybe it's because I have the genes of a librarian? Anyways, it occurred to me too that there are job possibilities in the sorting and sifting of online information. In fact, I think there already are jobs like that: MPR had a report this morning on someone who reads a company's customer comments. He observed that not all comments are valuable because not all are motivated to improve the product. Disgruntled employees or competitors may post comments for other reasons. His job was finding a way to sort out the helpful comments. What he watched for were recurring themes, for examples. Very interesting.

Hi Amber, thanks for your comment to my post. I think we have a lot of similarities. Regarding your post, you wrote: "I like the social interaction of meeting new people, being able to see their eyes, reading verbal and non-verbal queues."--me too! You also wrote, "I am coming to the conclusion that I do not have to give up this face-to-face communications, I can enhance it."--I also have come to that conclusion! I think for everything there are pro's and con's . . . take alcohol for example--it could be used to enhance a social setting (pro); however, too much could lead to drunken debauchery (con). You are funny, too. I laughed when I read: "I think I am in love with del.icio.us. Well, not really in love with it, my boyfriend might have an issue with that . . ." Like you, I agree that it seems indispensable for any class that requires a research paper or for brainstorming new ideas for marketing. This is good because I am a marketing person. I am looking forward to reading your future posts.