« Today's News? Wikinomicists replaced by more uniquely qualified minds. | Main | Meeting of Minds »

Knowledge as a Commodity... Hmm...

Live on the web is becoming more and more prominent with the expansion of fiber optics, satellite connects, and digital infrastructures. With such infrastructures, the ability to input and output data quickly and readily becomes more of an art then a skill. I have spent years becoming proficient in the art of searching for obscure data, items, or whatever else might come to mind and without the search engines, news feeds, and online participation with group forums, these endeavors would be futile. The concept of orienteering (Connect p.118-119) has proven most useful over the years in allowing me to take bits and pieces of incremental data and combine them into something grand. For example, some of the most unique gifts that I have found for people came from obscure and difficult to find areas that weren't even found on ebay.

Given the age where knowledge is a marketable commodity, it becomes important to expand ourselves into the digital world and to know all that we can in order to succeed. That said, I do find this whole concept a little overwhelming. Even with the advanced search tools and ability to communicate with nearly anyone who's connected, there is still far too much data for any single person to follow, find, or utilize effectively within their lifetime. This results in the need for a coordinating system based on market principles. I think this is what the final pages of wikinomics were getting at. (wikinomics p.122-123). The ability to R&D globally within a controlled environment in order to maximize IP while maintaining progress.

1. Tapscott and Williams. Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything. Portfolio Hardcover, 2006. Pg. 97-123.
2. Zelenka and Sohn. Connect!: Web Worker Daily’s Guide to a New Way of Working. Wiley, 2008. Pg. 113-139.

If my post sounds a little incoherent, it is because I've had the flu for a few days now and its just wiped me out. I've been trying to play catchup in my academics, but its an uphill battle. Anyway, I hope this finally breaks before next week. I cant afford to miss any more class.

I very much agree that the amount of data that we have access too is far more than we have ever had in the past. Soon finding information will be like weeding a garden. There is a lot of good stuff out there, you just have to get through some of the bad stuff to get there. Those that have the ability to find what they are looking for will have a large advantage. Soon though, being able to find the information won't be enough. The speed with which we are able to find the information will also be a large factor in the future of the knowledge as a commodity industry.