« iWiki | Main | WikiWow »

I can't wait for more hands-on.

The Wiki Workplace...what a concept. I have worked in the same mundane, hierarchy driven company for 25 years, I cannot fathom being able to have an idea that may actually be implemented. Oh sure, we can have our "skip-level" meetings with managers one step above ours but all that is just smoke and mirrors. They are just trying to appease the masses, make us think that what we say really matters when in actuality, it really doesn't. While this chapter talks about implementing wiki into the workplace to replace these skip level meetings, add valued insights from the people in the trenches, and build a resource available to all employees, I would really like to SEE how it works. The idea is great, and the example of Best Buy's "bottom-up approach" is fascinating, but I still want to SEE how it works. When Krista set up our wiki page, how did she go about it? How are we going to add all the information we have in deli.cio.us (and Thinkature)?
I can see how the Team will work, this is the fun part and the most important. If the teamwork is good, the time allocation, decision making, resource allocation, and communication will follow (Tapscott and Williams, 2006. pp. 259-263). The statement made by Ross Mayfiled, CEO of Socialtext says it best, he suggests that part of the reason wikis are popular and useful is inherent in the collaborative tools themselves; asking users to share control, and foster trust. "The more participation that you have...the greater quality you'll have in a project, in the same way that an open source works" (Tapscott and Williams, 2006. p. 254).
On p. 264 in Tapscott and Williams, clear goals, structure, discipline, and leadership in the organization will perhaps be more important in the virtual workplace because of the sub-existence of leadership. I can see that working it's way out in this class. It still confuses me as to where we will end up, but the hands-on learning on how to get there will be the reward.

I understand what you are saying about the skip-level meetings. I think the main problem with using Wiki's in the workplace is that they are rather difficult to control content on in some cases and that presents a branding risk. So many companies spend a very large amount of money creating their brand and corporate identity that I think they feel a public wiki might destroy it. I do know there are several companies out there who have "private" wikis which are available for use only by employees but we never get to see those or how they work, I have only heard about them at IT seminars. Although it is not a wiki, the Sunmicro systems corporate blog is sort of interesting and gives a little look into new forms of mass collaboration in the corporate workplace.

Hands-on will do it. This method we've got is great because we're each going to get to write & structure the pages to our own preferences, but still be able to look to each other as resources. We can offer input as well as seek ideas actively or passively by simply observing the work on parallel pages and other wikis out there on the web. Using our other 2.0 tools for improved communication and collaboration has all the potential to foster a seamless process right through to completion of the site.