« A Whole New Perspective | Main | Miscellany & YouTube »

Sharing Content IS Sharing Creativity

I have always watched youtube videos through my other friends computers, because my spyware software had not been renewed and I didn't have the latest version of flash (and I didn't want to install it due to viruses that might manifest themselves in the application), so I had not been able to indulge in all the content that was readily available to view at my own convenience. In the article, Boom Goes The Dynamite, Bob Garfield opens up the user's mind to a vast array of media that keeps the user wanting more, because you can type anything in and get everything out. It's not like a search query where you type a phrase in and an empty "0" comes back. The media content is rich and personalized and nothing is better than watching real-life scenarios take place on screen. For example, what if you could choose to watch an acted out scenario and a real-life scenario that resembled the same content? What would you choose? If I had the money to gamble with I would say that most people would want to see the real-life portrayal, because of the emotions that are instilled in the moment. Garfield nailed it when he stated that media content centered around the idea that the average person wants to, "step in front of the world and be somebody" (Boom Goes The Dynamite, pg. 1). Where everything used to be contained in a closed silo, there is now a fine line between what is broadcast on the internet and what is broadcast on tv, because now you and me can share and make media content with no restraints.

In the article, Lights, Camera, YouTube, Action, the sentence that most stuck out in my head was, "more and more higher ed institutions are regularly producing full-fledged online video programs" (Lights, Camera, YouTube, Action pg. 1). This reminds me of how MIT released the university's entire curriculum online to any average joe without charging a penny in tuition fees. This just goes to show you that this stepping stone process that we call web 2.0, is helping to shape mass collaboration as a platform that is represented in almost every aspect of a persons life especially through media content.

I haven't indulged--to borrow your word--in YouTube much either until I had to really mine it for videos for our class wiki. Wow. There's some really interesting video there, and some really boring, stupid ones, too. The sheer volume is stunning. I'm sure that many people are motivated by an egotistical desire to broadcast themselves or are just fascinated with digital "toys." Nonetheless, I'm sure that the popularity of YouTube is related to almost primal urges. Well before YouTube and Web 2.0, people wanted to make meaning out of their life experiences. The urge to communicate something to others is an important-- maybe even an essential part of making meaning. Web 2.0 and digital cameras and cell phones and blogs make meaning making possible for the masses.

I love the point that you made in your first paragraph about choosing between an acted out scenario and a real-life occurrence. I even agree that most people would choose real life because it offers elements we don't normally see in scripted works. However, I think you missed one really important point. The beauty of YouTube is you get the choice, you could watch either the scripted or real-life version or both. The true indication of the presence of Web 2.0 is the choice. And best yet, keep in Web 2.0 fashion of course, you could take the two videos and meld them into one and make your own version. The endless content possibilities with YouTube present options that never existed before. Keep on that same note, I love the MIT example! That is a perfect example of how anyone can utilize YouTube.

I also really like how you touched on how YouTube always returns results no matter what the search is. I think it is truly amazing that we have an application so powerful that we can type in just about anything and have experiences we never imagined. I think your post did a good job of bringing YouTube as a tool and a tool for choice into perspective.

Hey Hilary, good to know why you watch YouTube videos on your friends' computers. With all these viruses and what-not, it's definitely better to be safe than sorry. At the end when you had mentioned MIT's curriculum online -- I mentioned MIT professor in my blog posting. Coincidence! To answer your question "if you could choose to watch an acted out scenario and a real-life scenario that resembled the same content? What would you choose?" You bet! Totally real-life!