Worth a shot.

To facilitate finishing up this project in (our originally intended) cohesive fashion and maybe ending up with something we can leave online after the course ends, I've started a new discussion thread in the class forum:
"Final Wiki - What issues are left?"
Please take a look, might be worth your while, and you might be able to help one of your classmates by asking or answering a question, or just leaving an opinion.

I've always found forums to be an easy way to go about this kind of thing. Really easy to participate, and low pressure. In case you were wondering why...

...Better, Stronger, Faster... a request

I have a quick personal request for the class here:

- Please Please include at least something brief in the NOTES section of your del.icio.us links.

- Please also include plenty of tags on your del.icio.us links. Better too many tags than to have lots of useful information languishing undetected for lack thereof.

- If your Flickr photos (or other links) have generic titles, please revise them for inclusion in del.icio.us.

- Please be aware of when you are logged in, and let's keep personal links out of the urgent emergents list... ;)

I think the reasons for these points are pretty self explanatory. Without good tags we can't find everything we should. Without notes and/or retitling, the hundreds of Flickr photos titled "I-35W Bridge Collapse" or some such can only really be searched by full browse, which defeats the purpose of linking them in the first place. Agreed?

Thank you!

P.S. - In Movable Type, you can approve people's comments on the blogs you've posted. I'll be keeping this one current if anyone has anything to add or debate. Cheers!

success: a synopsis

Here’s a condensed version of the ways you defined what a successful project would look like. (They're in no particular order.)

• Simply making the site a reality
  • Creating a site that stands out from the rest
  • Creating an audience-focused site
  • Creating a clean, coherent, interesting, engaging product
  • Giving back to the community
  • Developing a community centered around the site
  • Continuing contributions past the end of the semester
  • Creating a well-filtered resource
  • Integrating truly useful searchability
  • Easy navigation
  • Creating a useful classification schema
  • Balancing quality and quantity of information
  • Hitting 100% accuracy, or as close to it as we can get
  • Integrating links to primary resources
  • Integrating rich media

so, what should we call this thing?

What should our blog name be?
Awhile back, I asked you folks what we should name the course blog. Several of you had some interesting ideas about that. Please vote on the one you'd like to see us use. (All responses are anonymous.)

Urgent Emergents
Connectonomics
Aspiration Toward Collaboration
Web 2.0.4.6.6.2
The Neo-Techno Shift
Socially Climactic Technologies
Heck, let's just keep "Emerging Tech in STC"

category fix

How in the world did we manage not to have a 35W Bridge Collapse category from the get-go? That's fixed now, and I appropriately categorized the relevant entries.

tweaks and items

1. I’ve added our del.icio.us to the sidebar.

2. People besides you are reading this blog. Some of my colleagues (both here at UMN and other places) have stopped by, and have commented on how smart you folks are sounding here. And Jenny blogged about her "talk" with us over on the Intuit Innovation Labs blog, which means some Intuit folks have stopped by as well. (In a perfect world they'd have left lots of comments for you, but instead we'll just consider this proof of all the research on lurking, eh?)

3. With Hillary's permission, I’ve updated one of her blog entries with embedded video of the Dick Hardt presentation she linked to. If you're interested in the future of identity security in online environments, you should carve out 15 minutes to watch it. I teach with this video all the time — just not in this class. (Also, the other thing she talks about there is totally true: I am indeed available for IM appointments, and I generally find that they’re helpful for everybody involved. Don’t be afraid to set up one.)

Not the best forum perhaps, but...

FYI fellow techies:

I was dealt the dual blow this week of a) internet breakdown, and b) water dumped into the laptop (I couldn't even look at my cat for a few hours). Internet is now fully functional again, but fate of the laptop is unknown. Currently drying out for "a few days" as the mac person instructed me. I'm borrowing a friend's for the moment...so I'm sorry I've been MIA for the last few days. There are a few notes from some of you which I intend to respond to momentarily! Also can't seen to remember my twitter password without my computer's help...trying to resolve that, hence I'm posting here.

IM ing is very useful....If you have questions ask Krista online

Hey guys... this week has been pretty intense especially with the workload and responsibilities of twitter, facebook, delicious, flickr, pimping out your firefox browser, and especially our blog posts. I was feeling a little on edge about my topic, which is using flickr and downloading images of 35W bridge collapse under the creative common licenses. First of all I had never used flickr before, and I did not know how to search items under CC licensing. I posted a twitter to Krista and asked when she would be online because my schedule was too busy to see her in person. I chatted with her online and she walked me through step by step on how I could go about collecting images under CC licensing. She was incredibly helpful and it did not take me long to figure out what I was doing... the IM experience was well worth it. Krista's screen name is iamkristak in case you forgot. Don't be afraid to holler at her. She is here to help guys.

By the way.... the identity 2.0 presentation I linked on the group wiki page is below... if you haven't seen it now is your chance
Hilary, signing off!!!

If this doesn't work.... just type in Dick Hardt's Identity 2.0 presentation into google or firefox

New template!

I've changed the template so as to better accommodate embedded media. Nobody panic.

Because "Urgent Emergents" just ain't right.

I’d love to give our blog a better name than the rather bland "Emerging Technologies in STC," but I’m coming up dry on this one. If you've got idea, leave it in the comments. Best one wins!

Update 1/26/08: I’m moving this up top just in case anyone missed it before. Great responses so far, but more is always better for this kind of thing.

and away we go.

As I mentioned in the email, you’ll need to change the way your name appears on the blog. Right now, it shows your full first and last names. You should modify this to show your first name and last initial. This will shield the writing you do here from Google searches for your full name.

To change the information, you’ll begin by logging on to Uthink at http://blog.lib.umn.edu/. Click on the "Login to UThink" link at the top of the sidebar.

UThink Login
(You can click on any of these images to see a larger version.)

Once you’ve logged on, you’ll see the main MoveableType menu. Your screen won't have all of the same blogs that mine does, of course.

Changing names in MT 1

Click on the welcome link with your x500 ID at the upper right corner.

Changing names in MT 2

That’ll take you to the Author Profile screen, which is pretty self-explanatory. (I’m not screencapping it here because I don’t want to release my ID to the world.) Update your info, click “save changes”, and you should be good to go.