« It’s a Mad Mad World Wide Web | Main | Web 2.0 to replace workplace warfare? »

Vatican II vs. Web 2.0

Although I may not understand all of the differences between Web 1.0 and 2.0, I cannot help but compare the changes to the changes in the Catholic church. Being a child who was raised Catholic and knowing the history of the church, I can see how some of the same issues came to light in the revolution. For those of you who may not be as familiar with the changes in the Catholic church, I will illuminate you on the issue.

In the 1950's, the Catholic church decided to make some major changes in the church setting that made the mass setting more usable to the everyday person. Before these changes, every mass was conducted in Latin, a language which people no longer recognized or understood. Much like Web 1.0 being made up of unchangeable languages that nonprofessionals couldn't understand, the church performed it's most important duty in a language that people could not relate with. The church focused most of it's energy on fire and brimstone sermons, which made people feel intimidated and not very likely to convert or want to become a part of something they had not grown up with. This is the same problem that Web 1.0 had. The web wasn't open to new applications or new information that allowed it to accept other thoughts and ideas that could make it better and more functional.

So as you can see, the church made these changes in order to be more people-friendly, much the same as Web 2.0 has become more user-friendly with their respective changes. I realize that the changes that have happened within these two major installations are not perfect, the church was the first thing I thought of when I saw the comparisons listed in the articles.

Nicole, I think you made a very interesting comparison here and I can't help but to agree with you. I was also raised Catholic and believe that the comparisons you made between the today's church and Web 2.0 are right on. I can't help but think of where things will go in the future. People are always trying to make things better than what they are today. It will be interesting to see how the Catholic church will evolve in the years to come as well as to see how Web 2.0 will change as new technologies, programs and applications become available. It will be interesting to see if the comparison between the two will still hold true in the future.

What an applicable analogy to draw on so many different levels!

I am by no means well versed in the history of the Catholic religion, but I know exactly what you are talking about. My mother-in-law frequently comments on her experience with the dawn of Vatican II "when the priest turned around". It definitely had a Web 2.0 like affect on her life and I am sure many others. From the intent behind the change to the nuances like language these changes are alike in many ways - great post!

You make a very interesting comparison here. I had no idea that Catholic sermons were conducted in Latin until the middle of the 20th century. I understand how you make the comparison between the church and web 2.0 being more "people friendly".

Can you draw any comparisons to how the congregation may be more involved in the actual processes of the church much like Web 2.0 allows users to have more and more control over the actual content of the internet?