« Web 2.0 and Me | Main | Web 2.0 meet Laura 2.0 »

Working with Web 2.0

Hey! My name is Brittany and I'm a junior in the school of Journalism & Mass Communication. I'm focusing on visual journalism and have complemented that with a minor in S&TC. I have been working as a freelance web designer for the past several years, and have a part-time job on campus doing site maintenance for the Hubert Humphrey Institute. After graduating in the fall, I hope to land a full-time job doing some kind of web design work, while continuing my freelance projects. Outside of the academic/professional realm, I am from New Jersey and came here for school as a member of the women's swim team. After my sophomore year I decided to hang up the suit and goggles and joined the rowing team. This will be my last semester as a student-athlete as I'll be graduating a semester early my senior year.

As far as the internet goes, I consider myself pretty savvy. I was obsessed with AIM back in the day and would constantly be on the computer. Being glued to the computer is what got me started in web design - making simple websites on AOL Hometown. I would say I'm generally pretty familiar with Web 2.0 applications, as listed in the O'Reilly reading, but I do find the concept pretty confusing still. The way O'Reilly described it as not having a "hard boundary, but rather, a gravitational core", is where the confusion comes from most I think (O'Reilly, 1). How can you define when exactly there were enough new applications on the web to constitute a Web 2.0 generation? Regardless, I am familiar with and use sites like Facebook, Amazon, Flickr, and Wikipedia quite frequently.

In the Connect! reading, they specify different ways of working in the web. The most common ways I work on the web would be telecommuting and freelancing - easy ways for me to do my web design work. One aspect of this reading that I found particularly interesting was the comtrasts between knowledge work and web work, specifically that of priority. In my web design work I have noticed that the web puts more emphasis on relationships and connections than it does on actual knowledge, so it was interesting to have it spelled out like that (Zelenka & Sohn, 6).

I think the internet is mind-boggling, but fun. It's amazing what it has turned into since it first came around and I can't even imagine where it will go from here. In this course, I hope to get a better understanding of some additional web applications and generally just have fun with it. I love the internet and think courses that use it and teach it have always been interesting to me.